"Counts Wzzini Paleologo and Counts Ciantar Paleologo"
(including explanation of circumstances of a title deemed to have been created in 1722, not 1711, by Grand Master Zondadari, not Pope Clement XI)
All Corrections/Additions are Welcome
Last Update: 24-11-2012.
* 'Principe Giorgio Paleologo,
'Settled in Malta from Sicily on 12-2-1589'., married
to Lucia Sayd, (daughter of Don. Giam-Piero Sayd and
1. Maria Paleologo, married Filippo Staffragi, with issue
1.1. Caterina Staffragi, married Michele Wizzini, with issue
1.1.1. Pietro Wizzini-Paleologo, married (1) 1625 to Lorenza Tonna, married (2) 1638 Vittoriosa to Clarissa Calavson, with issue
22.214.171.124. (First marriage) Paolo Wizzini-Paleologo-See Below.
126.96.36.199. Maddalena Wizzini, married 1664 to Ignazio Giglio, with issue.
188.8.131.52. Caterina Wizzini, married 1642 Vittoriosa to Michele Fontani.
184.108.40.206. (issue from Domenica N), Francesca Wizzini, married (1) to Antonio Micallef, married (2) 1676 Valletta to Carlo de Marco.
1.1.2. Marino Wizzini, married 1636 to Margharita Ghaxaq, with issue
220.127.116.11. Cleria Wizzini, married 1659 to Baldassare Farrugia, with issue.
18.104.22.168. Agostino Wizzini, married to Caterina N, with issue.
22.214.171.124.1. Maria Wizzini, married 1733 Valletta to Giovanni Busietta.
126.96.36.199. Mro Tommaso Wizzini, married to Celidonia Wizzini (see below), with issue.
188.8.131.52.1. Marianna Wizzini, married 1676 Valletta to Antonio Giuseppe Belli.
1.1.3. Blasio Wizzini
1.1.4. Filippo Wizzini
1.1.5. Antonio Wizzini, married Caterina..., with issue
184.108.40.206. Francesco Wizzino, married 1659 to Anna Maria Bonici, with issue
220.127.116.11.1. Gio Batta Wizzini, (migrated to Livorno and returned), married to Francesca N, with issue.
18.104.22.168.1.1. Giuseppe Wizzini, married 1727 Valletta to Clara Vella.
22.214.171.124.2. Antonio Wizzini, amrried to Maria N, with issue.
126.96.36.199.2.1. Stefano Wizzini, married 1744 Valletta to Antonia Cannolo., with issue.
188.8.131.52.2.1.1. Aloisea Wizzini, married 1773 Valletta to Giuseppe De Celis (s/o Battista and Giovanna)., with issue.
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Pietro De Celis, married 1802 Valletta to Giovanna Lanfranco.
18.104.22.168.2.1.2. Claudio Wizzini, married 1777 Valletta to Liberta Valenza, with issue.
22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Maria Antonia Wizzini, married 1811 Valletta to Salvo Xicluna.
188.8.131.52.2.2. Antonio Wizzini, married to Anna Ballio, with issue.
184.108.40.206.2.2.1. Giuseppe Wizzini, married 1774 Valletta to Francesca Fenech., with issue.
220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Antonio Wizzini, married 1796 Senglea to Rosa Spasiano.
22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Pasquale Wizzini, married 1802 Senglea to Pasquale Caracelli.
188.8.131.52.2.2.2. Angela Wizzini, married 1779 Senglea to Ignazio Giusti.
184.108.40.206.3. Francesco Wizzini, married to Ventura N, with issue.
220.127.116.11.3.1. Maria Wizzini, married 1758 Valletta to Arcangelo Caruana (s/o Giovanni and Margherita).
18.104.22.168.4. Maddalena Wizzini, married 1680 Vittoriosa to Basileo Palumbo.
22.214.171.124.5. Veronica Wizzini, married 1690 Vittoriosa to Gio Nicola Desira.
126.96.36.199.6. Gio Domenico Wizzini, married 1691 Liji to Vittorio Agius.
188.8.131.52.4. Margherita Wizzini, married 1702 Valletta to Giuseppe Bonello.
184.108.40.206. Anna Wizzini, married 1687 to Silvestrino Saliba, with issue
220.127.116.11. Sapienza Wizzini, married 1661 to Mallioto Fiteni, with issue (See Extinct Titles-Fiteni).
1.1.6. Marietta Wizzini, married NN Gatto, with issue.
18.104.22.168. Elisabetta Gatto Wizzini, married to Antonino Grungo.
1.2. N.N. Staffragi, with issue.
1.2.1. Giacoma Staffragi, married 1647 to Andrea Bianco, with issue
22.214.171.124. Giuseppe Bianco, married 1680 to Generosa Schembri, with issue
126.96.36.199.1. Alonso Bianco, married 1712 to Maria Bonavia, with issue
188.8.131.52.1.1. Giuseppe Bianco, married 1727 to Mattiola Caruana, with issue
184.108.40.206.1.1.1. Maria Bianco, married 1768 to Gio Maria Calleja, with issue
220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Antonio Calleja
22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Caterina Calleja
188.8.131.52.2. Anna Bianco, married Francesco Agius, with issue
184.108.40.206.3. Eufemia Bianco, married Salvatore de Brincat, with issue
220.127.116.11. Maria Bianco, married 1683 to Battista Torrou, with issue
* Paolo Wizzini Paleologo, Married
1673 to Eufemia Vella, with issue
1. Ignazio Francesco Wizzini-Paleologo, 1st Count-See Below.
2. Rev. Luigi Maria Wizzini, (1676-1717), dunm.
3. Fr. Francesco Wizzini, (1678-1767), dunm.
* Ignazio Francesco Wizzini Paleologo, (1674-1744),
1st Conte Wzzini Paleologo
(Cr:1711 (??) by Pope Clement XI (??)), (Press
Here for ancestry)
Married 1694 to Generosa Vella Abela dei Baroni di San Giovanni, with issue
1. Maria Teodora Wizzini Paleologo, 2nd Countess-See Below.
2. Alessandra Wizzini, (1700-47), married 1721 to Luigi Preziosi.
3. Francesca Wizzini, (1704-56), married 1735 to Carlo Viani.
4. Caterina Wizzini, married 1732 Valletta to Gerolamo Grungo.
5. (illegitimate) Capitano Stefano Wizzini of a Sicilian Merchant fleet, married 1747 to Antonia N of Sicily, with issue.
5.1. Aloisea Wizzini, married 1773 Valletta to Giuseppe Decelis, with issue.
5.1.1. Pietro Decelis, married 1802 Valletta to Giovanna Lanfranco, with issue.
18.104.22.168. Emmanuele Decelis, married 1850 Valletta to Saveria Azzopardi.
22.214.171.124. Fra. Francesco Decelis, 'Monk'.
126.96.36.199. Orsola Decelis, 'Nun'.
5.1.2. Fra. Ignazio Francesco Decelis Wizzini, 'Monk., dunm.
5.2. Fra. Ignazio Wizzini, 'Monk', dunm.
5.3. Fra Samuele Wizzini, 'Monk', dunm.
5.4. Eufemia Wizzini, 'Nun', dunm.
6. (illegitimate) Capitano Antonio Wizzini of a Sicilian merchant fleet, married to Andrianna N of Sicily, with issue.
6.1. Maria Wizzini, married (1) 1750 Birkirkara to Antonio Coleiro, married (2) 1785 Birkirkara to Paolo Camilleri.
6.2. Giuseppe Wizzini, married to Lorenza Zammit, with issue.
6.2.1. Maria Wizzini, married 1815 Birkirkara to Felice Attard.
6.2.2. Andrianna Wizzini, married 1814 Birkirkara to Giovanni Cutajar, with issue.
188.8.131.52. Elena Cutajar, married 1841 Birkirkara to Antonio Magro Borg.
184.108.40.206. Francesca Cutajar, married 1835 Birkirkara to Gaetano Xiberras.
220.127.116.11. Marianna Cutajar, married 1840 Birkirkara to Michele Borg.
Footnote: Published sources show this title of Conte enjoyed by the family Wzzini Paleologo as having been granted by Pope Clement XI on the 8 November 1711 and enjoying precedence in Malta with effect from 1722. This is not the case and does no justice to the conjectural exercise carried out by the 1878 Commissioners who in upholding this title, could not point out how, when and in whose favour it originated and, moreover, they stated that thee was no proof that this family was in possession of the title of Conte prior to the year 1722!. See also http://www.maltagenealogy.com/SME/wzzinipaleologo.html
In this case, no grant relative to the title in question appears to have been registered in the Cancelleria of the Order. This title was examined as one of many other titles described in the Section of the report headed Titles granted by foreign sovereigns during the Government of the Order of the Knights of Malta (See:- Correspondence and Report of the Commission appointed to enquire into the claims and grievances of the Maltese Nobility, May 1878, presented to both Houses of Parliament by Command of Her Majesty (C.-2033.) (See Report Paras. 192-198). Moreover, the Commissioners arriving at their decision allowing this claim, attested that there was no proof of the title existing at any time before 1722. In view of the fact that the earliest reference of this title is found in a letter dated 1722 of Grand Master Zondadari to Ignazio Wzzini, it follows that this title is for all intents considered as one that originated in Malta, even though it was considered by the Commissioners under the section dedicated to foreign titles.
In regard to remainder of this title, it would appear on the basis of the Commissioners observations, that the title may be transmitted to male descendants descending through a female line by regular primogeniture. In fact the report observed that the title originally made out in favour of Wzzini was eventually succeeded to by the Ciantar Paleologo family whilst that cadets of that family are only entitled to the designation dei Conti (ex Comitibus).
* Maria Teodora Wizzini Paleologo, (1696-1778),
2nd Contessa Wzzini
Married Count Gio Antonio Ciantar,(Created in 1739 in Portugal, and 1745 in France.), (Press Here for ancestry) (Also press here for Ciantar).
1. Bellarmina Ciantar Paleologo, married Count Baldassare Fenech Bonici, with issue. -See Extinct Titles. .
2. Giorgio Serafino Ciantar Paleologo, 3rd Conte--See Below. .
3. Luigi Ciantar Paleologo,
2nd Conte Ciantar. (Note:
According to the Will of Count Gio Antonio Ciantar,
Luigi inherited the Conte Title), married 1780 to Maria Teresa Vella
Castiglione, with issue
3.1. Anne dei Conti Cianter Paleologo, married 18-3-1805 to Guiseppe Milanesi Santoro (Born in Messina 1782)
3.1.1. Luigi Milanesi dei Conti Ciantar Paleologo LLD (b 1811), married 5 Nov 1844 at Porto Salvo, Valletta to Giuditta Riccardi Amodeo
18.104.22.168. Guiseppe Milanesi (b 6-3-1849 in Valletta), married at Naxxar 5-10-1875 to Annetta Amato
22.214.171.124.1. Maria Milanesi (b 6-8-1877 in Naxxar), married 12-4-1899 at Naxxar to Enrico Parlato
126.96.36.199.1.1. Alice Parlato (b 8-11-1905), married in 1925 at St Ignatius Jesuit College Chapel to Cecil J. Camilleri
188.8.131.52.1.1.1. Raphael J. Camilleri (b 25-4-1929 in Malta),married 1-2-1959 to Virginia Maria Camilleri
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Nicholas C. Camilleri (b 8-11-1959), married to Margarita Andreyovna Knipper Savitskaya., with issue.
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1. Damien Constantine Camilleri Savitsky, (2002-.
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Francesca Alica Camilleri (b 2-4-1962, married 1988 to Tonio Cremona, married (2) 10 May 2000 to Steve Greene
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1. Maximilian Alexander Cremona (b 11-7-1991)
18.104.22.168.1.1.2. Monica Gilbert (b 8-8-1933)
22.214.171.124.1.1.3. John. C Camilleri (b 6-11-1927)
126.96.36.199.1.1.4. Marie Therese Debono (b 2-3-1932)
188.8.131.52.1.1.5. Anthony A. Camilleri (b 9-6-1930)
184.108.40.206.1.1.6. Magda Camilleri (b 23-8-1947)
220.127.116.11.1.1.7. Chrisitine Bugeja (b 17-8-1947)
18.104.22.168.1.2. Evelyn Parlato, married 1924 Capt Reginald Cassar Torreggiani
22.214.171.124.1.2.1. Elisabeth Cassar Torreggiani (b 1939), married Marquis John Apap Bologna., with issue. (See Maltese titles under Gnien is-Sultan)
126.96.36.199.1.3. Mabel Parlato ( Missionary in the Far East)
188.8.131.52.1.4. Marie Louise Bonello (Wife of George Bonello MBE)
184.108.40.206.1.5. Lucia Parlato
220.127.116.11.1.6. Concetta Aubrey (wife of Cmdr. Philip Aubrey MBE)
18.104.22.168. Dr Gioacchino Milanesi LLD., dunm.
22.214.171.124. Dr. Riccardo Milanesi LLD., dunm.
126.96.36.199. Julia Milanesi., dunm.
188.8.131.52. Rev. Monsignor Salvatore Milanesi.,
3.1.2. Concetta Milanesi dei Conti Ciantar Paleologo , married Antonio Gatt Testaferrata Olivier
3.1.3. Teresa Milanesi dei Conti Ciantar Paleologo, married Cav. Nicola dei Marchese de Torres Carafa, dsp.
3.1.4. Antonio Milanesi., dunm.
3.1.5. Letterio Milanesi, married to N. Tortell.
3.1.6. Filipp Milianesi, dunm.
4. Aloisea Ciantar Paleologo, married 1785 to Simone Barbaro dei Marchesi di San Giorgio.
5. Francesca Ciantar Paleologo, married 1789 to Christo Pisani
Footnote: It does not appear from a reading of the 1878 Commissioner's report, that the Commissioners were asked to consider the other title of Conte claimed under Gio Antonio Ciantar (viv. 1739) . The Commissioners only considered the title of Conte enjoyed by the family Wzzini Paleologo.
* Giorgio Serafino
(1718-98), 3rd Conte Wzzini Paleologo, 1st Baron of San Giovanni, Conte Ciantar (Cr:1777-See
Married 1756 to Elena Moneta Vella, (Press Here for ancestry) with issue
1. Giuseppe Ciantar Paleologo, 'Capitano del Reggimento Falconiere" died unm 1788.
2. Fr. Pietro Paolo Ciantar Paleologo, "Cappellano", died unm. 1789.
3. Antonio Ciantar Paleologo, "Cadetto nel Reggemento", dunm 1781.
4. Giovanni Antonio Ciantar Paleologo, 4th Count
5. Giovanni Battista Ciantar Paleologo, 5th Count-See Below.
6. Maria Ciantar Paleologo, (Lived in Portugal and Spain), married to Nobile Emmanuele Pardo, with issue.
6.1. Nobile Emmauele Pardo.
6.2. Nobile Giuseppe Pardo, (d. in Spain), married
7. Elizabetta Ciantar Paleologo, "nun", dunm
Footnote: Most publications omit the fact that Giovanni Battista Ciantar succeeded his brother, not his father. In the 1878 Commissioners Report we find: It is proper to remark, in order to remove any difficulty that may arise from the adoption of the different surnames of Wzzini and Ciantar, that Count the Conte Ignazio Wzzini had no other children but one daughter named Teodora, who married Giovanni Antonio Ciantar. Of Teodora Conte Serafino was born, who left on his death the Conte Gio Battista, father of the present claimant Serafino, who became the first-born son of the family, by the decease, without issue, of his eldest brother the Conte Giovanni Antonio Ciantar. (See:- Correspondence and Report of the Commission appointed to enquire into the claims and grievances of the Maltese Nobility, May 1878, presented to both Houses of Parliament by Command of Her Majesty (C.-2033.) (See Report Paras. 192-198) See also http://www.maltagenealogy.com/SME/wzzinipaleologo.html
* Desendants of Maria Ciantar Paleologo noted in Adami Collection vol 94.
* Giovanni Antonio Ciantar Paleologo, 4th Conte Wzzini Paleologo dunm.
* Giovanni Battista Ciantar Paleologo,
(1777-1856), “4th” (recte: 5th) Conte Wzzini Paleologo, 2nd Baron of San Giovanni,
Married 1805 to Margarita Farrugia Mannarino, with issue.
1. Sir Giorgio Serafino Ciantar Paleologo, "5th" (recte: 6th) -See Below.
2. Guiseppe Ciantar Paleologo, 6th Count-See Below.
3. Elena Ciantar Paleologo, (died 1851), married Judge Francesco Chapelle, with issue.
3.1. Dr Giovanni Chapelle Paleologo, LL.D, 7th Count-See Below.
3.2. Sir Alessandro Chapelle, 4th Baron of San Giovanni-(See That Title).
3.3. Maria Regina Chapelle Paleologo (died 1875), married 1854 to Giuseppe Borg Olivier de Puget, with issue
3.4. Clementine Chapelle Paleologo (d. 1900)., married (c.1876) to Giuseppe Borg Olivier de Puget., (His second wife).
3.5. Francesca Saveria sive Carolina Chapelle (d.1871), married 1867 to Pietro Castarino., dunm.
3.6. Maria Chapelle., (d. 1882)., married Carlo dei Marchesi Mallia Tabone.
3.7. Margherita Chapelle., d. 1906 dunm.
3.8. Leandro Chapelle., (d. 1924), dsp.
3.9. Fortunata Chapelle Paleologo, (died 1903), Married 1871 to Dr Filippo dei Conti Preziosi, LL.D. -See Preziosi.
4. Fr. Paolo Ciantar-Paleologo, dunm.
5. Maria Ciantar-Paleologo, dunm.
6. Gio Antonio Ciantar-Paleologo, dunm.
7. Giuseppa Ciantar-Paleologo, dunm.
8. Francesca Ciantar-Paleologo, dunm.
9. Sofia Ciantar-Paleologo, dunm.
* Sir Giorgio Serafino Ciantar Paleologo, KCMG, (1818-87), “5th" (recte: 6th) Conte Wzzini Paleologo, 3rd Baron of San Giovanni, Titular 19th Despot of Mystra and Prince of Selimbria and dunm.
* Giuseppe Ciantar Paleologo, (died 1888)., “6th" (recte: 7th) Conte Wzzini Paleologo, Titular 20th Despot of Mystra and Prince of Selimbria and dunm.
* Dr Giovanni Chapelle Paleologo,
LL.D, (1835-1901), “7th"
8th) Conte Wzzini Paleologo,
Titular 21st Despot of Mystra
Married 1866 to Emilia Castaldi, with issue
1. Dr Giovanni Chapelle Paleologo, LL.D, 8th Count-See Below.
2. Alfredo Chapelle Paleologo., (1877-1937), married 1907 to Laura Mizzi., with issue.
2.1. Joseph Chapelle Paleologo, (1909-57).
2.2. John Alfred Chapelle Paleologo, (1911-., married Josephine Lavetti-Bosco, with issue.
2.2.1. Joseph Chapelle.
2.2.2. Albert Chapelle.
2.2.3. Antoine Chapelle.
2.2.4. Richard Chapelle.
2.3. Henry Herbert Chapelle Paleologo, (1914-., married Jeanine Dort, with issue.
2.3.1. Mark Chapelle.
2.3.2. Elizabeth Chapelle.
2.3.3. Claire Chapelle.
2.4. Alexander Chapelle.
2.5. Alfred Chapelle.
2.6. Amy Chapelle.
2.7. Mary Chapelle.
2.8. Doris Betty Chapelle.
3. Alexander Chapelle Paleologo., married Lilian Arms., with issue.
3.1. Doris Chapelle.
3.2. Mary Chapelle.
5. Carmela Chapelle Paleologo., married NN. Heraghty., with issue.
5.1. Emilia Heraghty.
* Dr Giovanni Chapelle Paleologo,
(1870-1937), “8th" (recte: 9th) Conte Wzzini Paleologo, Titular
22nd Despot of Mystra.
Married (1) 1906 to Gaetana Fenech, married (2) to Marianna Radmilli, with issue
1. (First Marriage) Dr Giovanni Chapelle Paleologo, 9th Count - See Below.
* Dr Giovanni Chapelle Paleologo, LL.D, (1906-81), “9th" (recte: 10th) Conte Wzzini Paleologo,,
Titular 23rd Prince of Mistra, Married 1939 to Mary
Evelyn Magri Cremona (1915-1981), with issue
1. John Constantine Chapelle Paleologo, Acknowledged by the COP/LOM as the present Count Ciantar Paleologo (recte: Wzzini Paleologo), Titular 24th Prince of Mistra, (1945-, Married 1972 to Margaret Cefai, with issue.
1.1. Jean Pierre Chapelle Paleologo, (1975-, Married 2001 to Natasha Stanley, with issue.
1.1.1. Annah Chapelle Paleologo, (1-2-02-.
1.1.2. Lisa Chapelle Paleologo, (18-03-05-.
1.2. Nicola Chapelle Paleologo, (1978-
2. Maria Lucinda Chapelle Paleologo, (1940-, married 1965 to Angelo Onesti.
3. Simonide Chapelle Paleologo, (1943-, Married 1970 to Luciano Patriniani, with issue
3.1. Ivan Patrignani., (1979-.
4. Sophie Mignon Chapelle Paleologo, (1950-, Married 1976 to Matteo La Manna, with issue
4.1. Carlo Lamanna, (1982-.
4.2. Maya Lamanna, (1979-.
Vanya Lamanna, (1980-.