Last updated 29/09/2017
Names of baronets shown in blue 
have not yet proved succession and, as a
result, their name has not yet been placed on
the Official Roll of the Baronetage.
Date Type Order Name Born Died  Age
Dates in italics in the "Born" column indicate that the baronet was
baptised on that date; dates in italics in the "Died" column indicate 
that the baronet was buried on that date
SMITH of Crantock,Cornwall
27 Sep 1642 E 1 William Smith c 1661
to     Extinct on his death
c 1661
SMITH of Hatherton,Cheshire
16 Aug 1660 E 1 Thomas Smith c 1622 22 May 1675
MP for Chester 1661-1675
22 May 1675 2 Thomas Smith c May 1706
to     Extinct on his death
c May 1706
SMITH of Edmonthorpe,Leics
20 Mar 1661 E 1 Edward Smith c 1630 6 Sep 1707
MP for Leicestershire 1653
6 Sep 1707 2 Edward Smith c 1655 15 Feb 1721
to     Extinct on his death
15 Feb 1721
SMITH of Long Ashton,Somerset
16 May 1661 E 1 Hugh Smith 21 Apr 1632 26 Jul 1680 48
MP for Somerset 1660 and Mar 1679
26 Jul 1680 2 John Smith c 1659 26 May 1726
MP for Somerset 1685-1689 and 1695-1698
26 May 1726 3 John Smith Jul 1741
to     Extinct on his death
Jul 1741
SMITH of Isleworth,Middlesex
20 Apr 1694 E 1 John Smith 16 Aug 1726
16 Aug 1726 2 John Smith 11 Oct 1760
to     Extinct on his death
11 Oct 1760
SMITH of East Stoke,Notts
31 Oct 1757 GB See "Bromley"
SMITH of Long Ashton,Somerset
27 Jan 1763 GB 1 Jarrit Smith c 1692 24 Jan 1783
MP for Bristol 1756-1768
24 Jan 1783 2 John Hugh Smith c 1735 30 Mar 1802
30 Mar 1802 3 Hugh Smyth 3 Jul 1772 28 Jan 1824 51
28 Jan 1824 4 John Smyth 9 Feb 1776 19 May 1849 73
to     Extinct on his death
19 May 1849 For further information on the subsequent
imposture of "Sir Richard Hugh Smyth" see
the note at the foot of this page.
SMITH of Tuam,King's Co.
28 Aug 1799 I See "Cusack-Smith"
SMITH of Hadley,Middlesex
22 Dec 1802 UK See "Eardley"
SMITH of Tring Park,Herts
11 Jun 1804 UK See "Hamilton-Spencer-Smith"
SMITH of Eardiston,Worcs
For an explanation of the reason for the differing
text colours below, see the note at the foot of
this page
23 Sep 1809 UK 1 William Smith 1821
1821 2 Christopher Sidney Smith 14 May 1798 7 Aug 1839 41
7 Aug 1839 3 William Smith 5 Oct 1823 4 Jan 1893 69
4 Jan 1893 4 William Sydney Winwood Smith 1 Apr 1879 27 Jun 1953 74
William Sydney Winwood Smith 16 Oct 1872 1954 81
27 Jun 1953 5 Christopher Sydney Winwood Smith 20 Sep 1906 3 Dec 2000 94
1954 Sydney Winwood Smith 1907 1983 76
3 Dec 2000 6 Robert Christopher Sydney Winwood Smith 1939
1983 Antony Winwood Smith 3 Jun 1920 1993 73
to     Dormant or extinct on the death of Antony
1993 Winwood Smith
SMITH of Pickering,Canada
30 Aug 1821 UK 1 David Smith 4 Sep 1764 9 May 1837 72
to     Extinct on his death
9 May 1837
SMITH of Aliwal, Punjab
1846 UK 1 Henry (Harry) George Wakelyn Smith 28 Jun 1787 12 Oct 1860 73
to     Governor of the Cape of Good Hope 1847-1852
12 Oct 1860 Extinct on his death
For further information on this baronet,see
the note at the foot of this page
SMITH of Stratford Place,London
6 Sep 1897 UK 1 Thomas Smith 23 Mar 1833 1 Oct 1909 76
1 Oct 1909 2 Thomas Rudolph Hampden Smith 24 Jan 1869 25 Jun 1958 89
25 Jun 1958 3 Thomas Turner Smith 28 Jun 1903 11 May 1961 57
11 May 1961 4 Thomas Gilbert Smith 2 Jul 1937 13 Feb 2003 65
13 Feb 2003 5 Andrew Thomas Smith 17 Oct 1965
SMITH of Hillbrook,Yorks
11 Feb 1911 UK See "Prince-Smith"
SMITH of Colwyn Bay,Denbigh
9 Jul 1912 UK 1 Frederick Henry Smith 24 Jan 1859 26 Jan 1946 87
He was subsequently created Baron
Colwyn (qv) in 1917 with which title the
baronetcy then merged
SMITH of Charlton Park,Gloucs
10 Jul 1917 UK See "Vassar-Smith"
SMITH of Birkenhead,Cheshire
24 Jan 1918 UK 1 Frederick Edwin Smith 12 Jul 1872 30 Sep 1930 58
He was subsequently created Baron
Birkenhead (qv) in 1919 with which title
the baronetcy then merged until its
extinction in 1985
SMITH of Kidderminster,Worcs
30 Jun 1920 UK 1 Herbert Smith 22 Jun 1872 14 Jul 1943 71
14 Jul 1943 2 Herbert Smith 26 Sep 1903 12 Jul 1961 57
to     Extinct on his death
12 Jul 1961
SMITH of Appledore,Devon
1 Jul 1920 UK See "Reardon-Smith"
SMITH of Totteridge,Herts
1 Dec 1944 UK See "Newson-Smith"
SMITH of Crowmallie,Aberdeen
21 Jun 1945 UK 1 Sir Robert Workman Smith 7 Dec 1880 6 Dec 1957 76
MP for Aberdeen and Kincardine Central
6 Dec 1957 2 William Gordon Smith 30 Jan 1916 20 May 1983 67
20 May 1983 3 Robert Hill Smith 15 Apr 1958
MP for Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine 1997-
SMITH of Keighley,Yorks
28 Nov 1947 UK 1 See "Bracewell-Smith" 29 Jun 1884 12 Jan 1966 81
SMITH of Broxbourne,Herts
18 Jul 1960 UK See "Walker-Smith"
SMITH-BURGES of East Ham,Essex
4 May 1793 GB 1 John Smith-Burges c 1734 24 Apr 1803
to     Extinct on his death
24 Apr 1803
SMITH-DODSWORTH of Newland Park,Yorks
22 Jan 1784 GB 1 John Silvester Smith 1734 15 Jun 1789 54
15 Jun 1789 2 Edward Smith (Dodsworth from 21 May 1821) 13 Aug 1768 31 Dec 1845 77
31 Dec 1845 3 Charles Smith (Smith-Dodsworth from 1846) 22 Aug 1775 28 Jul 1857 81
28 Jul 1857 4 Matthew Smith-Dodsworth 6 Feb 1819 30 Apr 1858 39
30 Apr 1858 5 Charles Edward Smith-Dodsworth 27 Jun 1853 5 Aug 1891 38
5 Aug 1891 6 Matthew Blayney Smith-Dodsworth 26 Oct 1856 8 Dec 1931 75
8 Dec 1931 7 Claude Matthew Smith-Dodsworth 12 Aug 1888 18 May 1940 51
18 May 1940 8 John Christopher Smith-Dodsworth 4 Mar 1935 21 Sep 2012 77
21 Sep 2012 9 David John Smith-Dodsworth 23 Oct 1963
SMITH-GORDON of Jamaica,West Indies
19 Jul 1838 UK 1 Lionel Smith 9 Oct 1778 2 Jan 1842 63
Governor of Tobago 1833, Barbados and the
Windward Islands 1833-1836, Jamaica 1836-
1839 and Mauritius 1840-1842
2 Jan 1842 2 Lionel Eldred Smith (Smith-Gordon from 
5 Feb 1868) 2 Apr 1833 1 Dec 1905 72
1 Dec 1905 3 Lionel Eldred Pottinger Smith-Gordon 22 Mar 1857 10 Jan 1933 75
10 Jan 1933 4 Lionel Eldred Pottinger Smith-Gordon 25 Nov 1889 6 Dec 1976 87
6 Dec 1976 5 Lionel Eldred Peter Smith-Gordon 7 May 1935
of Sydling St Nicholas,Dorset
1 Jun 1774 GB 1 John Smith 10 Apr 1744 13 Nov 1807 63
13 Nov 1807 2 John Wyldbore Smith 19 May 1770 19 Feb 1852 81
19 Feb 1852 3 John James Smith 10 Apr 1800 2 Sep 1862 62
2 Sep 1862 4 William Marriott Smith-Marriott 31 Aug 1801 4 Oct 1864 63
4 Oct 1864 5 William Henry Smith-Marriott 7 Aug 1835 30 Nov 1924 89
30 Nov 1924 6 William John Smith-Marriott 6 Nov 1870 24 May 1941 70
24 May 1941 7 John Richard Wyldbore Smith-Marriott 7 Dec 1875 5 Feb 1942 66
5 Feb 1942 8 William Smith-Marriott 5 Aug 1865 21 Dec 1943 78
21 Dec 1943 9 Hugh Randolph Cavendish Smith-Marriott 4 Oct 1868 21 Mar 1944 75
21 Mar 1944 10 Ralph George Cavendish Smith-Marriott 16 Dec 1900 16 Oct 1987 86
16 Oct 1987 11 Hugh Cavendish Smith-Marriott 22 Mar 1925 19 Jul 2013 88
19 Jul 2013 12 Peter Francis Smith-Marriott 14 Feb 1927
SMITHSON of Stanwick,Yorks
2 Aug 1660 E 1 Hugh Smithson c 1598 21 Oct 1670
21 Oct 1670 2 Jerome Smithson c 1630 1684
1684 3 Hugh Smithson 1657 2 Mar 1733 75
2 Mar 1733 4 Hugh Smithson c 1714 6 Jun 1786
He subsequently succeeded to the Earldom
of Northumberland (qv) in 1750 with which
title the baronetcy remains merged
SMYTH of Redcliff,Bucks
10 May 1661 E 1 William Smyth c 1616 1697
1697 2 Thomas Smyth after 1657 20 Jun 1732
to     Extinct on his death
20 Jun 1732
SMYTH of Hill Hall,Essex
28 Nov 1661 E See "Bowyer-Smyth"
  SMYTH of Upton,Essex
30 Mar 1665 E 1 Robert Smyth c 1594 12 Jun 1669
12 Jun 1669 2 Robert Smyth c 1630 by 1695
by 1695 3 Robert Smyth c 1659 27 Jan 1745
MP for Andover 1695-1698
27 Jan 1745 4 Trafford Smyth c 1720 8 Dec 1765
8 Dec 1765 5 Robert Smyth 10 Jan 1744 12 Apr 1802 58
MP for Cardigan 1774-1775 and Colchester
1780-1784 and 1784-1790
12 Apr 1802 6 George Henry Smyth 30 Jan 1784 11 Jul 1852 68
to     MP for Colchester 1826-1830 and 1835-1850
11 Jul 1852 Extinct on his death
SMYTH of Isfield,Sussex
2 Dec 1714 GB 1 James Smyth c 1686 28 Feb 1717
28 Dec 1717 2 Robert Smyth c 1709 10 Dec 1783
10 Dec 1783 3 Hervey Smyth 1734 2 Oct 1811 77
to     Extinct on his death
2 Oct 1811
SMYTH of Tinny Park,Wicklow
5 Aug 1776 I 1 Skeffington Edward Smyth May 1745 9 Sep 1797 52
to     PC [I] 1785
9 Sep 1797 Extinct on his death
SMYTH of Nutwood,Surrey
25 Aug 1821 UK See "Carmichael"
SMYTH of Ashton Court,Somerset
25 Apr 1859 UK 1 John Henry Greville Smyth 2 Jan 1836 27 Sep 1901 65
to     Extinct on his death
27 Sep 1901
SMYTH of Teignmouth,Devon
23 Jan 1956 UK 1 John George Smyth VC 24 Oct 1893 26 Apr 1983 89
MP for Norwood 1950-1966.  PC 1962
For further information on this baronet and VC
winner,see the note at the foot of this page
26 Apr 1983 2 Timothy John Smyth 16 Apr 1953
SMYTHE of Eske Hall,Durham
23 Feb 1661 E 1 Edward Smith 12 Oct 1714
12 Oct 1714 2 Richard Smythe Dec 1736
Dec 1736 3 John Smythe 17 Sep 1737
17 Sep 1737 4 Edward Smythe 21 Oct 1719 2 Nov 1784 65
2 Nov 1784 5 Edward Smythe 21 May 1758 11 Apr 1811 52
11 Apr 1811 6 Edward Joseph Smythe 3 Aug 1787 11 Mar 1856 68
11 Mar 1856 7 Charles Frederick Joseph Smythe 16 Mar 1819 14 Nov 1897 78
14 Nov 1897 8 John Walter Smythe 7 Nov 1827 5 Mar 1919 91
5 Mar 1919 9 Edward Walter Joseph Patrick Herbert 
to     Smythe 20 Mar 1869 9 Mar 1942 72
9 Mar 1942 Extinct on his death
SNADDEN of Coldock,Perth
13 Jul 1955 UK 1 William McNair Snadden 15 Jan 1896 23 Nov 1959 63
to     MP for Kinross and Western 1938-1955
23 Nov 1959 Extinct on his death
SNOW of Salesbury,Hants
25 Jun 1679 E 1 Jeremy Snow c 1629 16 Nov 1702
to     Extinct on his death
16 Nov 1702
SOAME of Thurlow,Suffolk
5 Feb 1685 E 1 William Soame c 1645 1686
1686 2 Peter Soame 1634 c 1693
c 1693 3 Peter Soame c 1675 early 1709
early 1709 4 Peter Soame c 1707 7 Sep 1798
to     Extinct on his death
7 Sep 1798
  SOMERVILLE of Somerville,Meath
14 Jun 1748 I 1 James Somerville by 1693 16 Aug 1748
16 Aug 1748 2 Quaile Somerville 14 Mar 1714 5 Dec 1772 58
5 Dec 1772 3 James Quaile Somerville c 1742 c Dec 1800
c Dec 1800 4 Marcus Somerville 1772 11 Jul 1831 59
MP for Meath 1800-1831
11 Jul 1831 5 William Meredyth Somerville 1802 7 Dec 1873 71
He was subsequently created Baron
Athlumney (qv) in 1863 with which title
the baronetcy then merged until it became
dormant in 1929
SOUTHBY of Burford,Oxon
12 Jun 1937 UK 1 Archibald Richard James Southby 8 Jul 1886 30 Oct 1969 83
MP for Epsom 1928-1947
30 Oct 1969 2 Archibald Richard Charles Southby 18 Jun 1910 4 Apr 1988 77
4 Apr 1988 3 John Richard Bilbe Southby 2 Apr 1948
SOUTHCOTE of Blighborough,Lincs
24 Jan 1662 E 1 George Southcote Dec 1663
1664 2 George Southcote 1664 c 1680
to     Extinct on his death
c 1680
SOUTHWELL of Castlemattress,Limerick
4 Aug 1662 I 1 Thomas Southwell 1680
1680 2 Thomas Southwell 1665 4 Aug 1720 55
He was subsequently created Baron
Southwell (qv) in 1717 with which title
the baronetcy remains merged
SPEARMAN of Hanwell,Middlesex
28 Apr 1840 UK 1 Alexander Young Spearman 13 Sep 1793 20 Nov 1874 81
PC 1869
20 Nov 1874 2 Joseph Layton Elmes Spearman 22 Sep 1857 11 Feb 1922 64
For information about his son and heir, see the
note at the foot of this page
11 Feb 1922 3 Alexander Young Spearman 19 Jun 1881 11 Feb 1959 77
11 Feb 1959 4 Alexander Bowyer Spearman 15 Feb 1917 27 May 1977 60
27 May 1977 5 Alexander Young Richard Mainwaring 
Spearman 3 Feb 1969
SPEARS of Warfield,Berks
30 Jun 1953 UK 1 Sir Edward Louis Spears 7 Aug 1886 27 Jan 1974 87
to     MP for Loughborough 1922-1924 and 
27 Jan 1974 Carlisle 1931-1945
Extinct on his death
SPEELMAN of the Netherlands
9 Sep 1686 E 1 Debora Speelman c 1655 25 Sep 1695
to     Extinct on her death
25 Sep 1695 For further information on her,and a discussion
of whether she was actually created a baronetess,
see the note at the foot of this page
9 Sep 1686 E 1 Cornelis Speelman 19 Jan 1684 30 Apr 1746 62
30 Apr 1746 2 Cornelis Speelman 5 Oct 1722 19 Sep 1787 64
19 Sep 1787 3 Cornelis Speelman 26 May 1747 14 Jun 1825 78
14 Jun 1825 4 Abraham Florentius Speelman 3 Sep 1784 25 Aug 1840 65
25 Aug 1840 5 Cornelis Jacob Abraham Speelman 5 Jan 1823 18 Jan 1898 75
18 Jan 1898 6 Helenus Marinus Speelman 27 Jul 1852 17 May 1907 54
17 May 1907 7 Cornelis Jacob Speelman 22 Sep 1881 3 Feb 1949 67
3 Feb 1949 8 Cornelis Jacob Speelman 17 Mar 1917 23 Apr 2005 88
to     On his death the baronetcy became dormant
23 Apr 2005
SPEKE of Hamilbury,Wilts
12 Jun 1660 E 1 Hugh Speke 5 Jul 1661
MP for Chippenham 1661
5 Jul 1661 2 George Speke 1 Oct 1653 14 Jan 1683 29
to     MP for Bath 1675-1679 and Chippenham 1681
14 Jan 1683 Extinct on his death
SPENCER of Yarnton,Oxon
29 Jun 1611 E 1 Thomas Spencer c 1585 7 Aug 1622
MP for Woodstock 1604-1611
7 Aug 1622 2 William Spencer c 1608 May 1647
May 1647 3 Thomas Spencer 1 Jan 1639 6 Mar 1685 46
MP for Woodstock 1660-1679
6 Mar 1685 4 Thomas Spencer c 1722
c 1722 5 Henry Spencer 1726
1726 6 William Spencer c 1735
c 1735 7 Charles Spencer by 1771
to     Extinct on his death
by 1771
SPENCER of Offley,Herts
14 Mar 1627 E 1 John Spencer Aug 1633
to     Extinct on his death
Aug 1633
SPENCER of Offley,Herts
26 Sep 1642 E 1 Brockett Spencer c 1605 3 Jul 1668
3 Jul 1668 2 Richard Spencer c 1647 21 Feb 1688
21 Feb 1688 3 John Spencer 27 Feb 1678 6 Aug 1699 21
6 Aug 1699 4 John Spencer c 1650 16 Nov 1712
to     MP for Hertfordshire 1705-1708
16 Nov 1712 Extinct on his death
SPENCER-NAIRN of Monimail,Fife
20 Jan 1933 UK 1 Sir Robert Spencer-Nairn                 11 Jul 1880 20 Oct 1960 80
20 Oct 1960 2 Douglas Leslie Spencer-Nairn 24 Dec 1906 8 Nov 1970 63
MP for Ayrshire Central 1955-1959
8 Nov 1970 3 Robert Arnold Spencer-Nairn 11 Oct 1933
SPENCER-SMITH of Tring Park,Herts
11 Jun 1804 UK 1 Drummond Smith 1740 22 Jan 1816 75
For details of the special remainder included 
in the creation of this baronetcy,see the note
at the foot of this page
22 Jan 1816 2 Charles Joshua Smith 31 May 1800 14 Jan 1831 30
14 Jan 1831 3 Charles Cunliffe Smith 15 Sep 1827 1 Aug 1905 77
1 Aug 1905 4 Drummond Cunliffe Smith 23 Feb 1861 8 May 1947 86
8 May 1947 5 Drummond Cospatric Hamilton-
Spencer-Smith 4 Nov 1876 18 Dec 1955 79
18 Dec 1955 6 Thomas Cospatric Hamilton-Spencer-Smith 8 Dec 1917 14 Oct 1959 41
For information on the death of this baronet,
see the note at the foot of this page
14 Oct 1959 7 John Hamilton Spencer-Smith 18 Mar 1947
SPEYER of Grosvenor Street,London
25 Jul 1906 UK 1 Edgar Speyer 7 Sep 1862 16 Feb 1932 69
to     PC 1909 (struck off 1921)
16 Feb 1932 Extinct on his death
For further information on this baronet,see
the note at the foot of this page
SPICER of Lancaster Gate,London
17 Jul 1906 UK 1 Albert Spicer 16 Mar 1847 20 Dec 1934 87
MP for Monmouth 1892-1900 and Hackney
Central 1906-1918
20 Dec 1934 2 Albert Dykes Spicer 27 Nov 1880 27 Oct 1966 85
27 Oct 1966 3 Stewart Dykes Spicer 2 Nov 1888 11 Jan 1968 79
11 Jan 1968 4 Peter James Spicer 20 May 1921 30 Sep 1993 72
30 Sep 1993 5 Nicholas Adrian Albert Spicer 28 Oct 1953
SPRIGNELL of Coppenthorp,Yorks
14 Aug 1641 E 1 Richard Sprignell c 1599 19 Jan 1659
Jan 1659 2 Robert Sprignell c 1680
c 1680 3 William Sprignell 6 Sep 1691
to     Extinct on his death
Sep 1691
SPRING of Pakenham,Suffolk
11 Aug 1641 E 1 William Spring 13 Mar 1613 17 Dec 1654 41
MP for Bury St.Edmunds 1646-1648 and
Suffolk 1654
17 Dec 1654 2 William Spring May 1642 30 Apr 1684 41
MP for Suffolk 1679-1685
30 Apr 1684 3 Thomas Spring 1 Dec 1672 5 Apr 1704 31
5 Apr 1704 4 William Spring Jan 1697 22 Mar 1736 39
Mar 1736 5 John Spring 14 Jan 1674 30 May 1740 66
30 May 1740 6 John Spring 17 Aug 1769
to     Extinct on his death
17 Aug 1769
SPRINGET of Broyle Place,Sussex
8 Jan 1661 E 1 Herbert Springet c 1615 5 Jan 1662
to     MP for New Shoreham 1646-1648 and 1660-
5 Jan 1662 1662 and Sussex 1654-1655
Extinct on his death
SPROT of Garnkirk,Lanark
1 Feb 1918 UK 1 Alexander Sprot 24 Apr 1853 8 Feb 1929 75
to     MP for Fife East 1918-1922 and
8 Feb 1929 Lanarkshire North 1924-1929
Extinct on his death
of Rockingham,Roscommon
21 Jan 1914 UK 1 Thomas Stafford 3 May 1857 11 May 1935 78
PC [I] 1918
11 May 1935 2 Cecil William Francis Stafford-King-Harman 6 Jan 1895 5 Feb 1987 92
to     Extinct on his death
5 Feb 1987
STAMER of Dublin
15 Dec 1809 UK 1 William Stamer 1765 14 Jan 1838 72
14 Jan 1838 2 Lovelace Stamer 29 Apr 1797 5 Mar 1860 62
5 Mar 1860 3 Lovelace Tomlinson Stamer 18 Oct 1829 29 Oct 1908 79
29 Oct 1908 4 Lovelace Stamer 4 Apr 1859 1 Oct 1941 82
1 Oct 1941 5 Lovelace Anthony Stamer 28 Feb 1917 30 Apr 2012 95
30 Apr 2012 6 Peter Tomlinson Stamer 19 Nov 1951
  STANDISH of Duxbury,Lancs
8 Feb 1677 E 1 Richard Standish 21 Jan 1651 5 Dec 1693 42
MP for Wigan 1690-1693
5 Dec 1693 2 Thomas Standish 21 Dec 1756
21 Dec 1756 3 Frank Standish c 1746 18 May 1812
to     MP for Preston 1768
18 May 1812 Extinct on his death
STANFORD of Brighton,Sussex
7 May 1929 UK See "Thomas-Stanford"
STANHOPE of Stanwell,Middlesex
13 Nov 1807 UK 1 Henry Edwyn Stanhope 1754 20 Dec 1814 60
20 Dec 1814 2 Edwyn Francis Stanhope (Scudamore-Stanhope 15 Dec 1793 8 Feb 1874 80
from 1827)
8 Feb 1874 3 Henry Edwyn Scudamore-Stanhope 8 Apr 1821 21 Jan 1887 65
He subsequently succeeded to the Earldom
of Chesterfield (qv) in 1883 with which
title the baronetcy then merged until its
extinction in 1952
STANIER of Peplow Hall,Salop
16 Jul 1917 UK 1 Beville Stanier 12 Jun 1867 15 Dec 1921 54
MP for Newport 1908-1918 and 
Ludlow 1918-1921
15 Dec 1921 2 Alexander Beville Gibbons Stanier 31 Jan 1899 1995 96
1995 3 Beville Douglas Stanier 20 Apr 1934
STANLEY of Bickerstaff,Lancs
26 Jun 1627 E 1 Edward Stanley May 1640
May 1640 2 Thomas Stanley 22 Oct 1616 May 1653 36
May 1653 3 Edward Stanley 1643 16 Oct 1671 28
16 Oct 1671 4 Thomas Stanley 27 Sep 1670 7 May 1714 43
MP for Preston 1695-1698
7 May 1714 5 Edward Stanley 17 Sep 1689 22 Feb 1776 86
He subsequently succeeded to the Earldom 
of Derby (qv) in 1736 with which title the 
baronetcy remains merged
STANLEY of Alderley,Cheshire
25 Jun 1660 E 1 Thomas Stanley 31 May 1597 31 Aug 1672 75
Aug 1672 2 Peter Stanley 29 May 1626 4 Oct 1683 57
Oct 1683 3 Thomas Stanley 25 Mar 1652 1721 69
1721 4 James Stanley 17 Mar 1747
Mar 1747 5 Edward Stanley 28 Aug 1755
28 Aug 1755 6 John Thomas Stanley 26 Mar 1735 29 Nov 1807 72
29 Nov 1807 7 John Thomas Stanley 26 Nov 1766 23 Oct 1850 83
He subsequently created Baron Stanley of
Alderley (qv) in 1839 with which title the
baronetcy remains merged although,as at
30/06/2014,the baronetcy does not appear
on the Official Roll of the Baronetage
STANLEY of Hooton,Cheshire
17 Jun 1661 E See "Errington"
STANLEY of Grange Gorman,Dublin
13 Apr 1699 E 1 John Stanley 1663 30 Nov 1744 81
to     Extinct on his death
30 Nov 1744 PC [I] 1713
of Hooton,Cheshire
17 Jun 1661 E See "Errington"
STAPLES of Lissan,co.Tyrone
18 Jul 1628 I 1 Thomas Staples 31 May 1653
31 May 1653 2 Baptist Staples Jun 1672
Jun 1672 3 Alexander Staples early 1673
early 1673 4 Robert Staples 9 May 1643 21 Nov 1714 71
21 Nov 1714 5 John Staples 22 Sep 1684 1730 45
1730 6 Alexander Staples 11 Jun 1693 6 Jul 1741 48
6 Jul 1741 7 Robert Staples 1 Aug 1740 1816 75
1816 8 Robert Staples 13 Feb 1772 24 Jun 1832 60
24 Jun 1832 9 Thomas Staples 31 Jul 1775 14 May 1865 89
14 May 1865 10 Nathaniel Alexander Staples 1 May 1817 12 Mar 1899 81
12 Mar 1899 11 John Molesworth Staples 29 Dec 1848 Feb 1933 84
Feb 1933 12 Robert Ponsonby Staples 30 Jun 1853 18 Oct 1943 90
For further information on this baronet,see
the note at the foot of this page
18 Oct 1943 13 Robert George Alexander Staples 21 Sep 1894 9 Dec 1970 77
9 Dec 1970 14 John Richard Staples 5 Apr 1906 10 Mar 1989 82
10 Mar 1989 15 Thomas Staples 9 Feb 1905 19 Dec 1997 92
19 Dec 1997 16 Gerald James Arland Staples 2 Dec 1909 22 Sep 1999 89
22 Sep 1999 17 Richard Molesworth Ponsonby Staples 11 Jun 1914 8 Nov 2013 99
to     For further information on the fate of this
8 Nov 2013 baronetcy,see the note at the foot of this page
Extinct or dormant on his death
  STAPLETON of Leeward Islands,West Indies
20 Dec 1679 E 1 William Stapleton 3 Aug 1686
3 Aug 1686 2 James Stapleton 24 Sep 1672 29 Jul 1690 17
Jul 1690 3 William Stapleton 14 Nov 1674 7 Dec 1699 25
7 Dec 1699 4 William Stapleton 1698 12 Jan 1740 41
MP for Oxfordshire 1727-1740
12 Jan 1740 5 Thomas Stapleton 24 Feb 1727 1 Jan 1781 53
MP for Oxford 1759-1768
1 Jan 1781 6 Thomas Stapleton,Lord le Despencer 10 Nov 1766 3 Oct 1831 64
3 Oct 1831 7 Francis Joseph Stapleton Aug 1807 11 Feb 1874 66
11 Feb 1874 8 Francis George Stapleton 19 Mar 1831 30 Oct 1899 68
30 Oct 1899 9 Miles Talbot Stapleton 26 May 1893 4 Apr 1977 83
4 Apr 1977 10 Henry Alfred Stapleton 2 May 1913 5 Jan 1995 81
to     Extinct on his death
5 Jan 1995
STAPLEY of Patcham,Sussex
28 Jul 1660 E 1 John Stapley 29 Jun 1628 22 Aug 1701 73
to     MP for Sussex 1654-1655 and 1656-1658
22 Aug 1701 and Lewes 1660-1679
Extinct on his death
STAPYLTON of Myton,Yorks
22 Jun 1660 E 1 Henry Stapleton c 1617 26 Mar 1679
MP for Boroughbridge 1647-1648 and 1660
26 Mar 1679 2 Brian Stapylton c 1657 23 Nov 1727
MP for Aldborough 1679-1681 and
Boroughbridge 1690-1695,1698-1705
and 1708-1715
23 Nov 1727 3 John Stapylton c 1683 24 Oct 1733
MP for Boroughbridge 1705-1708
24 Oct 1733 4 Miles Stapylton c 1708 14 May 1752
MP for Yorkshire 1734-1750
14 May 1752 5 Brian Stapylton c 1712 27 Jun 1772
27 Jun 1772 6 John Stapylton c 1718 10 Feb 1785
10 Feb 1785 7 Martin Stapylton c 1723 21 Jan 1801
21 Jan 1801 8 Martin Stapylton 14 Sep 1751 2 Jan 1817 65
to     Extinct on his death
2 Jan 1817
STAPYLTON of Carlton,Yorks
20 Mar 1662 E 1 Miles Stapylton 19 Oct 1626 19 Feb 1707 80
to     Extinct on his death
19 Feb 1707
STARKEY of Norwood Park,Notts
9 Jul 1935 UK 1 John Ralph Starkey 1 Mar 1859 13 Nov 1940 81
MP for Newark 1906-1922
13 Nov 1940 2 William Randle Starkey 11 Dec 1899 10 Jul 1977 77
10 Jul 1977 3 John Philip Starkey 8 May 1938
STAUNTON of Cargins,Galway
31 Oct 1785 I 1 George Leonard Staunton 10 Apr 1737 14 Jan 1801 63
14 Jan 1801 2 George Thomas Staunton 26 May 1781 10 Aug 1859 78
to     MP for Mitchell 1818-1826, Heytesbury
10 Aug 1859 1830-1832, Hampshire South 1832-1835
and Portsmouth 1838-1852
Extinct on his death
STEEL of Murieston,Midcalder,Edinburgh
6 Jul 1903 UK 1 James Steel 1830 4 Sep 1904 74
to     Extinct on his death
4 Sep 1904
STEEL of Philiphaugh,Selkirk
2 Jul 1938 UK   See "Strang-Steel"      
STEELE of Hampstead,Surrey
12 Feb 1768 I 1 Richard Steele 1701 20 Feb 1785 83
Feb 1785 2 Parker Steele c 1735 13 May 1787
13 May 1787 3 Richard Steele 4 Aug 1775 2 Aug 1850 74
2 Aug 1850 4 John Maxwell Steele (Steele-Graves from
30 Jul 1862) 4 May 1812 25 Sep 1872 60
25 Sep 1872 5 Frederick Ferdinand Armstead Steele 25 Mar 1787 29 Jun 1876 89
to     On his death the baronetcy became either
29 Jun 1876 extinct or dormant
STEPHEN of Montreal,Canada
3 Mar 1886 UK 1 George Stephen 5 Jun 1829 29 Nov 1921 92
He was subsequently created Baron Mount
Stephen (qv) in 1891 with which title the
baronetcy then merged until its extinction 
in 1921
STEPHEN of de Vere Gardens,London
29 Jun 1891 UK 1 Sir James Fitzjames Stephen 3 Mar 1829 11 Mar 1894 65
11 Mar 1894 2 Herbert Stephen 25 Jun 1857 23 Oct 1932 75
23 Oct 1932 3 Harry Lushington Stephen 2 Mar 1860 1 Nov 1945 85
1 Nov 1945 4 James Alexander Stephen 25 Feb 1908 1 Jun 1987 79
to     Extinct on his death
1 Jun 1987
STEPHENS of Horsford,Norfolk
and Fulham,Middlesex
13 Mar 1795 GB 1 Philip Stephens 11 Oct 1723 20 Nov 1809 86
to     MP for Liskeard 1759-1768 and Sandwich
20 Nov 1809 1768-1806
For information on the special remainder
included in this creation, see the note at 
the foot of this page               
Extinct on his death
STEPHENSON of Hassop Hall,Derby
16 Jul 1936 UK 1 Henry Kenyon Stephenson 16 Aug 1865 20 Sep 1947 82
MP for Park 1918-1923
20 Sep 1947 2 Henry Francis Blake Stephenson 3 Dec 1895 14 Aug 1982 86
14 Aug 1982 3 Henry Upton Stephenson 26 Nov 1926
STEPNEY of Prendergast,Pembroke
24 Nov 1621 E 1 John Stepney c 1581 Aug 1624
Aug 1624 2 Alban Stepney c 1628
c 1628 3 John Stepney c 1650
MP for Pembroke 1640 and Haverfordwest
c 1650 4 John Stepney c 1632 c 1681
c 1681 5 Thomas Stepney c 1668 19 Jan 1745
MP for Carmarthenshire 1717-1722
Jan 1745 6 John Stepney early 1693 14 Mar 1748 55
Mar 1748 7 Thomas Stepney 12 Oct 1729 7 Oct 1772 42
7 Oct 1772 8 John Stepney 19 Sep 1743 3 Oct 1811 68
MP for Monmouth 1767-1788
3 Oct 1811 9 Thomas Stepney 11 Feb 1760 12 Sep 1825 65
to     Extinct on his death
12 Sep 1825
STEPNEY of Llanelly,Carmarthen
22 Sep 1871 UK See "Cowell-Stepney"
STERN of Strawberry Hill,Middlesex
31 Jul 1905 UK 1 Herbert Stern 28 Sep 1851 7 Jan 1919 67
He was subsequently created Baron
Michelham (qv) in Dec 1905 with which title the
baronetcy them merged until its extinction
in 1984
STERN of Chertsey,Surrey
16 Jun 1922 UK 1 Sir Edward David Stern 18 Jul 1854 17 Apr 1933 78
to     Extinct on his death
17 Apr 1933
STEUART of Coltness,Lanark
29 Jan 1698 NS 1 Thomas Steuart 1631 6 Apr 1698 66
6 Apr 1698 2 David Steuart 1656 1723 67
1723 3 Thomas Steuart 1708 1737 29
1737 4 Robert Steuart 1675 by 1758
by 1758 5 John Steuart 12 May 1759
12 May 1759 6 Archibald Steuart-Denham 20 Jul 1683 12 Jun 1773 89
12 Jun 1773 7 James Steuart-Denham 10 Oct 1713 Nov 1780 67
Nov 1780 8 James Steuart-Denham Aug 1744 12 Aug 1839 95
MP for Lanarkshire 1784-1802
12 Aug 1839 9 Henry Steuart-Barclay 1765 1851 86
to     On his death the baronetcy became either
1851 extinct or dormant
STEUART of Allanton,Lanark
22 May 1815 UK See "Seton-Steuart"
STEUART-DENHAM of Westshield,Lanark
31 Jan 1694 NS See "Denham"
STEVENSON of Clevedon,Kelvinside,Glasgow
22 Jul 1914 UK 1 Daniel Macaulay Stevenson 1 Aug 1851 11 Jul 1944 92
to     Extinct on his death
11 Jul 1944
STEVENSON of Walton Heath,Surrey
21 Feb 1917 UK 1 James Stevenson 2 Apr 1873 10 Jun 1926 53
He was subsequently created Baron
Stevenson (qv) in 1924 with which title the
baronetcy then merged until its extinction
in 1926
The Smith baronetcy imposture
The most famous imposture in relation to a baronetcy is, without doubt, that of the
Tichborne claimant. However, the Tichborne imposture was not a unique case, as the
following note will show.
The Smiths of Long Ashton in Somerset descend from a merchant who, having made a fortune,
became Mayor of Bristol in the years 1547 and 1554. His descendant, Hugh Smith, was created
a baronet soon after the Restoration. This baronetcy became extinct on the death of the third
baronet in 1741, while the estates passed to the third baronet's sister. She married a Mr. Jarrit
Smith, who in 1763, was also created a baronet. On the death of the fourth baronet of the 
second creation, in 1849, the baronetcy again became extinct, the estates being inherited by
the fourth baronet's sister, a Mrs. Upton. She died two years later when the estates passed to
her grandson (her son having predeceased her). Because he was a minor at the time, the 
estates were managed by his uncle, a Mr. Way.
The following account of the imposture is taken from a series entitled "Romances of High Life"
by the splendidly-named Dalrymple Belgrave, which was published in the 'Manchester Times'
during October, November and December 1898.
'A few months after the death of Mrs. Upton, a letter arrived one morning at breakfast time 
directed to Mr. Way, informing him that "Sir Richard Smyth, Bart., of Ashton Court, Sommersett
[sic] had that day taken possession of Heath House (the other family place), and giving him
notice not to interfere in any way, directly or indirectly, with the property.
'Shortly afterwards an old servant arrived from Heath House, who had something more to tell
about "Sir Richard." The day before, two men had asked to see the house. They had been 
shown over it, and, on seeing the portrait of Sir Hugh Smyth [the third baronet], one of them
prostrated himself before it, crying out: "Oh my father, my beloved father!" and then he said
he was Sir Richard Smyth. The old retainer said he had known the family for fifty years, but he
had never seen the like of him, and if he didn't clear out he would kick him out. The next person
to arrive at Ashton Court was Sir Richard Smyth himself, with his lawyer. Sir Richard was a tall
man of about sixty, with grey hair carefully curled, and an ugly sallow face. The lawyer, he 
said, would tell his story.
'It was to the effect that he was the son of Sir Hugh Smyth, by an earlier and secret marriage.
"I would wish you to discharge the household," said Sir Richard, who spoke with the vulgar
pomposity of the half educated, "as my own servants are coming here, and I request you to 
hand me the keys of the mansion; but you need not hurry, sir. I will allow you two hours to
take your departure." Mr. Way replied by allowing the others two minutes to take theirs, and,
on their staying, called the men servants who, with little ceremony, bundled them out of the
house. After this for six months no more was heard of Sir Richard. His lawyer had given up
his case. After some months, however, he found another gentleman to act for him, a well
known thieves' lawyer, whose practice lay for the most part in getting up "alibis" and defending
prisoners, and who lived under the shadow of the Old Bailey. He, in June 1853, served Mr. Way
with a writ of ejectment. Mr. Way prepared to defend the case, and one of the first steps he
took was to employ Inspector Field, of Scotland Yard - the famous detective from whom 
Dickens drew Inspector Bucket - to keep a watch on the lawyer's office and learn what he
could of that gentleman's client, Sir Richard. In August 1853, the case was tried at Gloucester
Assizes. Needless to say the court was crowded, as it was the event which everyone in the
county of Gloucester was discussing, and the matter in dispute concerned estates worth
£20,000 a year. For the plaintiff [Sir Richard Smyth] appeared Mr. Bovill Q.C., who, when he
was afterward Chief Justice of the Common Pleas and tried the Tichborne case, must have 
been often reminded of that day. For the defendant [Mr. Way] there appeared, as his
leading counsel, that great advocate and master of cross-examination, Sir Frederick Thesiger,
afterwards Lord Chelmsford.
'Romantic to a degree was the story told by Mr. Bovill Q.C. The plaintiff was, so he said, 
brought up as the son of Provis, a carpenter at Warminster, but as he grew up he began to
suspect that Provis was not his father, but that he was the son of Sir Hugh Smyth. Sir Hugh
was supposed to have married twice. In 1797 he married Miss Wilson, daughter of the Bishop
of Gloucester. In 1822, his first wife having died, he married a Miss Howell. As time passed on,
however, and the plaintiff grew up, documents and evidence came to light which proved to
the claimant that he was the legitimate son of Sir Hugh by a first and hitherto concealed
marriage with Jane Vandenberg, daughter of Count Vandenberg, to whom he was secretly
united in Ireland in 1796. In 1849, Mr. Bovill said, the claimant had visited Sir John Smyth at
Ashton Court, and communicated his relationship and his claims. Sir John acknowledged his
nephew in the most moving terms, but the shock of the interview was too much for him. For
the rest of the day he was unable to eat, he wandered about disconsolate, and the next
morning he was found dead in his bed.
'After that it was some time before the plaintiff, who had no money, was able to get legal
assistance, but when he obtained it he brought the present action. Mr. Bovill said that his
evidence consisted of documents, the handwriting of which would be proved, family relics,
seals and portraits, and of verbal evidence. First, as to the marriage, he said that, in Ireland,
in 1796, there were no public registers of marriages, but he said there was an entry in a
family bible - "I certify that Hugh Smyth, son of Thomas Smyth Esq., of Stapleton, county
Gloucester, in England, by Jane his wife, was on May 19th married by me to Jane, daughter of
Count John Vandenbergh, by Jane, daughter of Major Gookin, and Hesther, his wife, of Court
Macsherry county of Cork, Ireland.
                                                       (signed)  Verney Lovett D.D. Vicar of Lismore
           Hugh Smyth                             Jane Vandenbergh
           Caroline Bernard                        John Vandenbergh
                                 Cousena Lovett."
'These signatures, the learned counsel said, would be proved by unexceptionable evidence.
'There was another entry in the Bible of the baptism of "Richard, son of Hugh Smyth and
Jane his wife, born September 2nd, 1797, baptised September 10th, 1798, at the Royal-
crescent, Bath. 
                                                       (signed)  John Symes, clerk
           Caroline Bernard                        Isabella Thynne."
'Then he also had a letter from Sir Hugh to his wife, who was staying at Warminster, telling
her what doctor would attend her in her confinement, and saying that the person who
brought the letter to her would nurse her. He added that he would be with her the next day.
After the mother died, Sir Hugh kept the claimant's existence a secret, lest it should prevent
his marrying Miss Wilson. Though the claimant was placed with Provis, the carpenter, he was
afterwards educated at Winchester School.
'In 1822, Sir Hugh began to believe that the plaintiff was still alive, and he executed a 
document declaring the plaintiff to be his son, telling the story of his marriage and the
subsequent birth of his son; and the death of his wife, when the latter, driven from Ireland by
the troubles there, was staying at Warminster. The document went on to say that, believing his 
son to be dead, he had made a will, which "I now set aside by this, my last will and testament," 
and it went on to declare that he acknowledged Richard Hugh Smyth his son and heir, "that he 
might possess the vast estates of my ancestors, as secured to him by the will of my excellent 
father, Thomas Smyth, of Stapleton" and he went on to implore his "dearest brother John" to 
look for his son and secure his return. This document was signed by Sir Hugh Smyth, also by 
brother, John Smyth, and was witnessed by William Edwards, James Abbott, and William Dobson. 
There was another document to much the same effect, only it made two statements, neither of
which can have been true - that Caroline Bernard, who signed the baptismal certificate, was
the Countess of Bandon, and that Isabella Thynne, who also signed it, was the Countess of 
Bath. The second document was signed by "Hugh Smyth," and witnessed by William Dobson and 
James Abbott.
'Then came the evidence to prove this story. The claimant, after he had grown up, travelled on
the Continent with a Mr. Knox, commonly called Lord Knox, devoting himself to various studies
until 1826, when he returned to England and devoted himself to lecturing - circumstances
preventing him from taking any steps to claim his inheritance until 1849.
'First there came into the box a clergyman and a magistrate of Gloucestershire, who knew Sir
Hugh Smyth's writing, and swore to it in the certificate of the marriage, in the Bible, and in one
of the deeds, and to the letter. As to the first of the two deeds, he could not swear to the
signature because it was so tremulous. Mr. Bovill, however, had stated in his opening speech
that he would show that at the time it was executed Sir Hugh was ill. Sir Frederick Thesiger
cross-examined this witness, and though he made no attack upon him he was able to show that
he had always taken the claimant's side, and was a warm partisan. The next witness was a 
doctor, who proved that Sir Hugh was ill in 1822 and 1823. Cross-examined, however, he said
that Sir Hugh fancied himself ill one day and would go out hunting the next.
'Then came a Mr. Holland of Kingston, Ireland. He knew the late Rev. Verney Lovett, vicar of
Lismore, and swore to his handwriting.
'The next witness was the Hon. Captain Bernard, a younger son of Lord Bandon. He had known
the Rev. Verney Lovett, who was a relation of his family. His grandmother, Hesther, was a 
widow, Mrs. Smyth, before she married his grandfather. She was the daughter of Major 
Goodwin, who lived at Court Macsherry. This evidence did not amount to much, still it seemed
to give some substance to the Goodwins and Bernards who figured in the certificate. In cross-
examination, however, he said that his mother, the Countess of Bandon, was not Caroline
Bernard. Her name was Catherine, not Caroline. Some time before he had had an interview with
the claimant, who appeared to him to be anxious to find out what was his mother's name. He
never had heard of any connection between his family and the Smyths of Ashton Court, nor
had he ever heard of the Vanderberghs. Then came two witnesses, John Symes and Ann
Symes, the son and daughter of the Rev. James Symes, of Bath, who was supposed to have
signed the baptismal certificate. [According to the author of the article, the name is shown
as John, not James]. Cross-examination showed that they were both persons in very reduced
circumstances. Still it could not be said that any of these witnesses were broken down in
cross-examination, nor were some witnesses who followed, who swore to the handwriting of
the witnesses of the two deeds.
'So far the case looked as if it were going fairly well for "Sir Richard." Sir Frederick Thesiger, just
before the adjournment, had something to say about the deeds. "Would the court keep them in
its custody." The seals on the deeds purported to be impressed with the coat of arms and 
motto of the Smyth family. The motto of the Smyth family was "Qui Capit Capitur" (the English
of which may be freely rendered as "The Biter Bit.") But on the seals the motto was "Qui Capit
Capitor." The judge said that the court could not retain the custody of the document, as it had
not been formally put in evidence, but he took notice of the seals and smiled as he read the
suggestive adage. With this incident the first day of the trial ended. On the second day there
was a little more evidence as to handwriting, and it was pointed out that Dobson, a tenant of 
Sir Hugh Smyth's, seemed to have signed his name with two b's as Dobbson, in one of the 
deeds. Then the Bible, the letter from Sir Hugh, and the two deeds were formally put in 
evidence. The crucial moment of the case came when the plaintiff, Sir Richard Hugh Smyth,
came into the box.
'As he told his story, it must have been soon apparent to anyone acquainted with courts of
justice that he was just the sort of witness for a counsel who called him to be afraid of. He
could talk only too fluently, and he had the lecturer's manner and the lecturer's facility. He
appeared to delight in his own answers, and in the way he told his story. He was always in
the Provis family treated as a little gentleman. When he went to Warminster School he was
taken there by "Lady Isabella." Lady Isabella Thynne was her full name. "But," said the witness,
"in aristocratic families the first name only is mentioned." He was taken to Winchester by Sir
Hugh's butler, Grace, but after a few terms, as Grace embezzled money which was given him
to pay for schooling, his bills were not paid and he had to leave. After that he went to London,
to Lady Bath's house. Her ladyship told him who we was, and said he had better go to Ashton
Court and see his father, Sir Hugh. At the same time she gave him £1,400 which she said was
his mother's money. After that he went on the Continent and studied. He came back in 1826
and travelled about, lecturing at schools on education. Lady Bath had told him that her butler,
Davis, who lived at Warminster, would give him a Bible in which there was a certificate of his
mother's marriage. In 1838 he inquired for Davis and found he was dead, but he found old Mr.
Provis at Warminster. He asked him to tell him about his birth, but old Provis would tell him
nothing, and, when he persisted in asking him questions, old Provis hit him with his stick.
Then he went away, but Provis called him back and gave him the Bible that had been put in
evidence, and a large picture which he produced, and some jewellery, a ring with the Bandon
coat of arms and "J.B." on it, and a brooch with "Jame Gookin" on it. For some years he did
nothing, but in 1849 he called on Sir John. Sir John, when he heard his story, said: "You are
indeed the son of my dear brother." Sir John said that he was to fetch his family, who he said
were to stay at Ashton Court. He also gave him all the money he had, a note for £50, and
offered him a draft for more if he required it. "And," said the witness, "I only regret that I did
not take it." After he left Sir John he went away to fetch his family, but on his return with
them he found that Sir John had been found dead in his bed. Then he went on to tell how 
the deed had been sent to him in a mysterious way by the Great Western Railway, by a 
certain Frederick Crane in a brown paper parcel, and together with a letter saying that it had
been obtained from a deceased solicitor. He also produced the brown paper it was wrapped in.
'Then Sir Frederick Thesiger began to cross-examine in his terribly suave manner. He was very
interested in the Provis family, particularly in one son, John, and as question after question
followed the claimant seemed to get restless. He was not, however, a man of so little address
as to allow himself to be badgered by counsel without complaining.
'"Your questions," he said, "are irrelevant and unbecoming."
'"They are neither one nor the other," said the judges, who did not appear to be impressed by
the lecturer, "and you will have to answer them."
'After some questions about the Provis family, Sir Frederick began to refer to letters which the
claimant had written to people, giving a slightly different account of himself and his doings. It
was suggested that he had at one time claimed to be of Lord Carrington's family, which showed
that he had designs on another branch of the great house of Smith. Then he was questioned
as to his educational studies on the Continent, and he was referred to a letter in which he 
wrote of having travelled with Lord Nox.
'"The spelling of the name," said the witness, "is arbitrary."
'Sir Frederick seemed surprised to hear this, and then he began a very long examination about
spelling. How did he spell "set aside?" asked Sir Frederick.
'"That is not relevant to this inquiry," replied the lecturer. But the judge told him to answer, and
then, amidst roars of laughter, he spelt in "sett assidde."
'"I have authority for it," said he; "it may sometimes be spelt aside, but I prefer spelling it
'He also spelt "rapid" with two p's. "There are dictionaries in which it is spelt so," he said when
he saw he was wrong. "No doubt edited by yourself," replied Sir Frederick, but people in court
thought that the joke was becoming wearisome. "I will not be schooled like this," said the
witness. "I can prove that your grammar is faulty." People in court began to think that the joke
of the faulty spelling of the lecturer on education was being drawn out for too much. But those
who had seen the documents knew that most of the mistakes made occurred in one or the
other of them. The cross-examination was not concluded by the end of the second day. He 
was asked as to having published an advertisement to clergymen to search registers for the 
years 1795, 1796 and 1797, for the marriage certificate of Sir Hugh Smyth and Jane 
Vanderbergh. How did he come to publish those advertisements when he had the Bible which 
told him when the marriage was? he was asked. He was questioned on different subjects until
he declared that the cross-examination was disgusting, to which Sir Frederick replied pleasantly
that he had not half done with him.
'On the third day, the cross-examination was, from the first, more severe. He was asked about 
the different occasions on which he had represented himself to be a son of Provis, the
carpenter, even after he had begun to call himself "Dr. Smith" to go about lecturing. Had he not,
he was asked, on one occasion taken an inventory of John Provis's things and given it to a
neighbour, telling the latter to take care of the things for him, as if Provis died he would be the
heir. At first he denied this, but the inventory was produced, and he admitted it. His attention 
was called to one item, a painting of "son John," and he was asked whether that did not refer
to a picture that hung up in the house. The picture was produced, and on the back of it was
written "Hugh Smyth, Esq." of Stapleton, Gloucestershire, England, who married in 1796. He
admitted that the picture was one which he had referred to in letters as one of his father. How
did the writing come on the back? he was asked. At first he said it was always there. He put 
acid on, and that brought out the pencil marks. Sir Frederick cross-examined about this, and
was anxious to know how acid could bring out pencil marks. "I decline to enter into the 
subject," said the witness, with some of his old manner, but there was not much of it left, and 
he grew limper and limper.
'Then he was cross-examined about when he received the will. It was on March 17th, 1853, he
said, and he was quite sure of the date. Then came a great deal of cross-examination about
seals which he had ordered from Mr. Moring, of Holborn, and impressions on his letters of one
of those seals in which the motto was "Qui Capit Capitor." Here, however, he gave what seemed
to be a good explanation. He had had the seal engraved from an impression which he had taken
from the seal on the will. That was how the mistake had occurred in two places. The seal was
made in June, 1853. Then Sir Frederick produced one of his letters. It was a damaging letter
enough, for it was written to a Mr. Bennett, the Vicar of Lismore, Mr. Lovett's successor. "Sir
Richard" asked for specimens of the late Mr. Lovett's handwriting, and to make the clergyman
take some interest in him added that he was the patron of eight livings, the poorest of which
was worth £600 a year. What was, however, more interesting about it was that on the letter
was the seal with "Qui Capit Capitor."
'"How does this seal come on the letter on March 13th?" asked Sir Frederick.
'"You have explained it. I must have got the seal before." continued the witness.
'"But how could you have got the seal on March 13th when you only saw the document from
which you say you took the impression for it on March 17th?" asked Sir Frederick. "Explain this,"
'"I can't explain it. I feel confused, and I should like to retire," replied the witness.
'But Sir Frederick Thesiger had no intention of allowing him to retire until he had given him the
"coup de grace." As he examined he had received a telegraphic message, and holding the
despatch in his hand he proceeded to question the witness on the information he had
'Did he go in January to a shop in Oxford-street and order a ring to be engraved with the
Bandon crest, and also a brooch, to have the name Gookin engraved on it. The man's face
answered the question as he stood pale and nerveless before he replied: "I did," But the
terrible cross-examiner had not finished with him. It was like the last rounds of a long fight,
when the beaten man staggers up to the scratch to be knocked down again and again. Had
he not been in gaol for horse stealing for 18 months of the time he had tried to account for?
Had he not marks of the "King's Evil" [i.e. scrofula] on his neck? Let him uncover his neck. The
wretched man tried to deny the idea that he was the man who had been suggested. But the
marks by which it was supposed he could be identified were to be seen on his neck.
'Judge and jury had heard enough, and Mr. Justice Coleridge interposed with an observation to
Mr. Bovill, who rose, and said that though he and his friends did not like to interfere during
cross-examination, they felt that, after the appalling exhibition they had seen, it would be
inconsistent with their duty as gentlemen of the Bar to continue the contest any longer.
'"Sir Richard's" next appearance was in the dock of the criminal court at Gloucester at the next
Assizes. He was tried under his real name, Tom Provis. He defended himself with a good deal of
his old assurance, and he appeared to think that law was simply a matter of assertion and
manner. "I have always understood," he said, in objecting to his letters being read, "that letters
are not evidence in a criminal case." The prosecution were able to show how he had carried
out much of his fraud. It was shown that the Bible, which he said belonged to Sir Hugh Smyth,
had been purchased by the prisoner in High Holborn from a Mr. Kempston, a second-hand book-
seller. It was also shown that the will of Sir Hugh Smyth did not reach him in the mysterious
manner he alleged. Frederick Crane, who is supposed to have sent it, was called, and he
confessed that the prisoner persuaded him to write the letter, which was dictated to him. Then
the "Qui Capit Capitor" mistake was explained by Mr. Moring, the engraver. Mr. Moring said that
he had made a seal with the Smyth crest and arms to the prisoner's order. In copying the
motto the letter "u" became blotted, and looked like "o." The engraver had written it as an "o."
With this seal the deed had evidently been signed. Evidence was also given that the prisoner
had purchased the rings and jewellery, and had them engraved with crests and names. The
prisoner, who defended himself, in his address to the jury maintained that he really was the 
son of Sir Hugh Smyth, but he admitted that he had, in order to obtain his just rights, done
some things in the way of fabricating evidence which could only be justified by the peculiar
circumstances of his case. He was found guilty, and other previous convictions were proved
against him, which showed that he was a man of the lowest character. He seems to have been
a strange mixture of cunning and folly. In the course of his speech he produced from under his
coat, where it had before been concealed, an enormous pig-tail of plaited hair. He said that
this was a proof of his aristocratic birth, that he was "born with it," and that his son was born
with one.
'After he had been found guilty he made a speech, in which he said that he had been convicted
of using his best endeavours to obtain that which he conceived was his own. He was sentenced
to twenty years' transportation. Some of the comments of the Press on the case are rather
interesting. The "Examiner," for instance, of that date said "that Provis had been born too late,
and that the age in which his type of imposter could flourish was over. The Press, the electric
telegraph and Inspector Bucket were too much for him." This self-complacent article reads
somewhat curiously when one remembers the career of the arch-imposter who flourished some
fifteen years afterwards [i.e. the Tichborne claimant].'
The baronetcy of Smith of Eardiston  [UK 1809]
In 2008, for the first time, the Official Roll of the Baronetage was amended retrospectively,
when a note was added to the Roll to show the true descent of this baronetcy, rather than the
line which had, albeit in good faith, been followed until the current time. As a result, my entry
for this baronetcy shows two lines of descent - black for the line of descent shown in most
books of reference, and purple for the corrected line of descent added to the Roll in 2008.
Some years ago I was in discussions with the late Sir Simon Watson, Bt., then a member of the
Executive Committee of the Standing Council of the Baronetage, over the revision of Sir Martin
Lindsay's book, "The Baronetage." As part of these discussions, Sir Simon advised me of a 
recent [at that time] change which had been made to the Official Roll of the Baronetage in
relation to the baronetcy of Smith of Eardiston [UK 1809]. Sir Simon provided me with the
following wording regarding this change:-
Christopher Sydney Winwood Smith, born in 1846, was the eldest surviving son of Sir William
Smith of Eardiston, Worcestershire, 3rd baronet. As a young man Christopher was the black
sheep of the family and he emigrated to New South Wales, where he worked as a labourer. In
1870, without telling his parents, he married a poor and illiterate Catholic maidservant called 
Ann Morgan, who was born in County Galway. They had three children, including a son, William
Sydney Winwood Smith, who was born in 1872. About three years later, Christopher deserted
his wife and young family, leaving them to struggle in poverty. He went to Sydney, where in
1877 he married Caroline Holland. On the certificate he was described as a bachelor and a
gentleman, but Ann Morgan was still living, and this second union was clearly a bigamous one.
This time he did tell his parents about his marriage, and in 1879 Christopher and Caroline had a
son who was also named William Sydney Winwood Smith. This younger William was treated as
the heir to the Baronetcy, and throughout his life lived in ignorance of the existence of his elder
half-brother and namesake. Neither Ann Morgan's children, nor Caroline Holland's children, had
any idea of each other's existence. Christopher died in Australia in 1887 at the age of 41, but
his father, Sir William Smith, outlived him by five years. On Sir William's death in 1893, Caroline
Holland's son, the younger William Sydney Winwood Smith, who was technically illegitimate, was
recognised as the 4th Baronet. Unwittingly and in good faith, he used the title for the rest of
his life, and his name appears in all related reference books. When he died in 1953, his eldest
son, Christopher Sydney Winwood Smith, became the next Baronet, and was known thereafter 
as 'Sir Christopher Smith' until his death in 2000. However, in 1995 a descendant of Christopher
Smith and Ann Morgan decided to research the family history. As the facts came to light, the
family felt the need to put the record straight. Nothing could be done to restore the title to 
its true owner, since the last surviving male descendant of Christopher Smith by Ann Morgan
died in 1983. Nevertheless the female descendants felt strongly that the records, particularly
the 'Official Roll of the Baronetage', should be corrected to show who ought to have been the
Baronet between 1893 (when Sir William Smith, 3rd Baronet, died), and 1983. The request
seemed entirely reasonable, but the process proved to be time-consuming and complicated,
since this situation had apparently never arisen before. The facts were set out in a 'Statement
of Case' in 2004 and submitted to the Attorney-General. Help and guidance was received from
Treasury Solicitors and considerable further documentation and several Statutory Declarations
were requested before the submission succeeded. This was the first time a formal request had
been made to alter, retrospectively, the Official Roll [of the Baronetage]. Subsequently, to the
delight of the family, a formal note was added to the Official Roll to show the true line of
descent; a little piece of legal and genealogical history had thus been made.'
In the most recent editions of "Debrett's Peerage," the following is shown under the entry for
this baronetcy:-
'On 22 February 2008 the register of the Baronetage, on advice from the Attorney General,
submitted a caveat to be entered in the Official Roll of the Baronetage against the baronetcy of
Smith of Eardiston (UK, 1809) with effect that the title is now extinct or dormant.
'Research in NSW, Australia, revealed that Christopher Sydney Winwood Smith, eldest surviving
son of the third Baronet, was secretly married 16 May 1870 (East Maitland, NSW, Australia) to
Ann Morgan, by whom he had issue one son and two daughters. It would appear that C.S.W.
Smith deserted his wife and family, and without obtaining a divorce or annulment, contracted
a second marriage 10 August 1877 to Caroline Holland, by whom he had further issue one son 
and two daughters. 
'Christopher Sydney Winwood Smith predeceased his father in 1887 in Australia. When the third
Baronet died 1893 the baronetcy passed in good faith to the son of the second marriage, and 
so continued to Christopher Sydney Winwood Smith, called 5th Baronet, who died 2000.
'The legitimate line of descent would appear as follows: Sir William Sydney Winwood Smith, de
jure 4th baronet, b. 16 Oct 1872, s his grandfather Sir William 1893: m 1901, Mary Helen, da
of Richard Way Griffiths, and d 1954, leaving issue, one son and five daughters. His only son
Sir Sydney Winwood Smith, de jure 5th baronet, b 1907: m 1941, Alice May, da of Arthur 
James Liddy, and d 1983, without male issue. He was succeeded by his second cousin, Sir
Antony Winwood Smith, DFC, RAF, de jure 6th Baronet (only son of late Christopher William
Winwood Smith, only son of late William Arthur Winwood Smith, 5th son of 3rd Baronet), b 1920,
d unm 1993 (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe), when the title became dormant or extinct.'
Sir Henry (Harry) George Wakelyn Smith, 1st and only baronet  [UK 1846]
The following biography of Sir Harry Smith appeared in the February 1956 issue of the Australian
monthly magazine "Parade." For a fictional account of the early years of the marriage of Harry
Smith and Juana de Leon, see Georgette Heyer's historical novel "The Spanish Bride."
'Two young British officers, still grimy from battle, stood at their tent flap on April 6, 1812, 
looking grimly towards the Spanish town of Badajos, then being sacked by British soldiers., As
they watched the plumes of smoke rising from burning houses, two Spanish girls approached, 
their faces streaked with blood. They had been attacked, they said, by looters who had 
wrenched the rings from their ears without bothering to unclasp them and had come to the 
camp to seek protection from the reign of terror. Young Captain Harry Smith of the Light Division
was embarrassed by their presence. He solved the problem two days later by marrying the 
younger, thus starting an empire-building partnership that was to resound through British 
history. The girl he married was Juana Maria de Los Dolores de Leon, then 14 years old and 
strikingly beautiful. Descendant of high born hidalgos, one of whom went to America with 
Columbus, she was to follow Harry Smith through all the Napoleonic battles to the field of 
Waterloo. British, Boers and natives alike in South Africa were proud to name Ladysmith after 
her and Harrismith after her gallant, dashing husband who became their governor.
'Britain has little cause for pride in the victory of Badajos which brought the adventurous young
couple together. British soldiers looted the town with the ferocity of barbarians. They had some
reason. In the first place Badajos had been betrayed to Napoleon's French by treacherous
Spaniards. When the British invested the town, 5000 were killed before it fell. Wellington, not for
nothing known as the Iron Duke, handed the town over to his soldiers. Ten thousand of them 
tore it apart. Civilians were murdered wantonly. Homes were fired. No woman was safe. Behind 
the drunken soldiers came a rabble of camp followers, men and women who stripped the corpses
and when they could not remove rings with their fingers tore them off with their teeth. The 
troops even killed some of the British officers who tried to intervene.
'The de Leons owned one of the largest mansions in the town. It was already ablaze and ringing
with the screams of serving women, when Juana's elder sister seized the child's hand and fled
through the smoke-filled streets to the British camp, where fate threw them at the feet of the
debonair Captain Smith.
'At that time Captain George Henry Wakelyn Smith, son of a country doctor of Whittlesey,
Cambridgeshire, had not a single thought of matrimony. When not fighting he was more
interested in the greyhounds and horses which accompanied him on all campaigns together with
the herd of goats driven by small Spanish urchins, orphans of the war, long lost to their native
towns. The youthful Juana, always a tomboy, slipped naturally into this bizarre setting. She
became the mascot of the ruffians who had sacked her home - and Smith's wife. The child bride
shared all the rigours of the campaign with her husband. Utterly in love, they slept in barns,
haylofts, tents, sometimes in open meadows. When Harry swept into battle she stayed rest-
lessly in the rear till it was won, then rode over the stricken field to find him. Long before
Florence Nightingale she became the "angel" of the wounded. At Salamanca she was seen
tending a gunner who had both arms shot off. No one, it is recorded, could have been more
pitying and less squeamish.
'Juana, still only 17, was a veteran of a dozen hard­fought battles when Wellington smashed
the final French resistance at Toulouse in the Pyrenees foothills. Napoleon was imprisoned on
Elba. The war which had terrified all Europe and the Middle East with blitz tactics and secret
weapons was over. In a round of balls, routs and gaiety, Harry and Juana Smith enjoyed a
belated honeymoon. Then, suddenly, they were parted for the first time.
'Harry Smith was ordered to America, where the Americans, enraged by a British naval blockade
Americans, enraged by a British naval blockade which stopped their traffic with France, had
attacked Canada. He was in the army which sacked and burned Washington and was at New
Orleans when the British were soundly drubbed by Andrew Jackson, hero of the Indian wars
and later President of the United States.
'Harry Smith returned to England to be met by a very determined young woman who told him
that never again would he leave her behind. He never did. From then, whenever Harry Smith
fought and governed, his fiery Spanish wife was with him. They were hardly reunited before
the shadow of Napoleon again fell across Europe. The "ogre" escaped from Elba and rallied the
remnants of his Grand Army. Harry Smith, now a brigade major, was ordered to Brussels, where
Wellington was massing an army for the final showdown. He chartered a special sloop to take
Juana, himself and their five horses to Belgium.
'They were just in time. Harry was rushed straight to Quatre Bas, flashpoint of Waterloo where
battle was joined next morning. Juana was at a tumbledown inn just outside Brussels when, 
after a day of conflicting rumours, news was received of final victory. She set out at once to
seek her husband. The first soldiers she met told her he had been killed. She spent the whole
day searching for his corpse among the 65,000 dead and wounded that littered the battle-
field. She was half distraught when Major Charles Gore found her at sundown and told her he
had just left Harry Smith perfectly well and safe, riding his horse Young Lochinvar in search of
'They went to Paris for the peace and were caught up in a whirl of extravagance. Harry was
gazetted colonel and imported his own pack of foxhounds. Juana indulged in a wild orgy of
shopping among the Paris fashion houses. His pay slipped through their fingers. They were soon
so heavily in debt that Harry was forced to raffle his horse, Young Lochinvar. He complained
wryly that his wife was taking money out of his pocket when he heard that Juana had bought
a ticket but changed his tune when she won his horse back for him.
'But all good things come to an end. Smith's division was posted to Scotland to control an
incipient rebellion spear-headed by the now out-of-work heroes of Waterloo. Harry was body-
guard to "Prinny," when the Prince Regent went to Edinburgh. The disturbances ended with the
hanging of three rebels. The Smiths were duly transferred to Ireland, then to Nova Scotia and 
on to Jamaica, where they fought a plague of yellow fever which wiped out British soldiers by
the hundred. It was merely a period of preparation for the greater responsibilities ahead.
'These came in 1828 when Colonel Harry Smith was ordered to Cape Town as Deputy Quarter-
Master General to the new Governor, Sir Richard Bourke. Britain had muddled the administration
of the colony from the very day she seized it from Napoleon's Dutch allies. The colony, largely
Boer and growing rapidly, was seething with discontent. Blissfully unaware of local problems, the
British home Government caused economic chaos by abolishing slavery overnight and made
matters worse by granting equal rights to natives. On all sides the small pockets of whites were
threatened by savage Bantu warriors.
'The crisis simmered gently till 1834, when the new Governor, Sir Benjamin D'Urban, received a
message at his New Year's Eve party that 15,000 Kaffir warriors had swept across the frontier
murdering white farmers, plundering and burning homesteads and driving away the cattle.
Without alarming his guests D'Urban with a nod of his head summoned Harry Smith to a 
conference. No details of the rising were yet to hand, so Harry volunteered to ride to
Grahamstown, a small British settlement 600 miles away, cut off by warriors. Harry Smith's
ride to Grahamstown is as famous in Africa as Paul Revere's in America and Dick Turpin's in
England. He covered the 600 miles through hostile territory in less than six days and soon
discovered that the Kaffir warriors had wiped, out 450 farmsteads and damaged 350 others.
'Then, at the head of his division, he tumbled the Kaffirs back across the border, cleared them 
out of the Fish River area and proceeded to allot the newly-conquered lands to settlers who 
had survived the massacre. D'Urban made him Governor of the newly-formed Queen Adelaide
Province, intended to be a buffer between the Cape and the surging Bantu savages.
'Meanwhile Juana had joined him in his capital, King Williams Town. She made the 800-miles
journey across the veldt and over mountain passes still infested by roving warrior bands in a
creaking bullock wagon. In King Williams Town she helped him pacify the natives. While he
arranged defence posts of friendly Kaffirs and smashed the witch doctors, she organised the
training of Kaffir women and children. 
'Cape Province was set for a period of peace and prosperity when Lord Glenelg, one of 
Britain's most stupid colonial secretaries, declared that the continued encroachment of the
colonists amply justified the war-like action of the Kaffirs. Accordingly he ordered D'Urban to
reinstate the natives in the area from which they had been driven. Harry Smith, raving that
they were "restoring Queen Adelaide Province to barbarism" was ordered to India as Adjutant-
General. The Boers too were enraged. The abandonment of the Province and the transfer of 
Harry Smith were largely responsible for the secession of the Boer adventurers who drove north
into Zulu territory in what is known as the Great Trek.
'In India the Smiths were immediately engulfed in a volcano of warfare. Harry Smith was given a
division in the campaign to put down a reign of terror in Gwalior. At the battle of Maharajpur
[29 December 1843], he captured all the enemy guns in a dashing cavalry charge. For gallantry
in this action Smith was knighted. With an independent command and new blitz tactics, he then
smashed the Sikhs at Aliwal [28 January 1846] for which on his return triumphant to England,
he was created a baronet and received the freedom of London and Glasgow.
'There was not much rest for Harry and Juana Smith, however. The position in South Africa was
drifting from bad to worse. The Kaffirs were on the rampage again. The Boers were truculent. 
He was sent back as Governor and High to restore the order he had built before. Backed by
Juana, he became the complete empire builder. Virtually ignoring the home Government, he
added British Kaffraria to Cape Province and extended his borders to the Orange River. Because
the Boers were always skirmishing with the Griqua tribes, he proclaimed the whole district
between the Orange and the Vaal rivers as a British dominion, and when Boer leader Pretorius
objected, smashed his troops in the battle of Boomplaats [29 August 1848].
'He was pressing British claims on the Transvaal, which would have obviated the bloodthirsty
Boer War decades later, when the British Government had another attack of cold feet and
called him home. The Government fell before their arrival so Major-General Sir Harry Smith and
his Spanish wife were received as heroes. The damage had been done, however. The Orange
River area was handed back to the Boers, The stage was set for the siege, years later, of
Rich in honours, Harry Smith, one of Britain's greatest empire builders, died on October 12, 1860,
aged 73. The wife who had shared his campaigns followed him 12 years later.'
Sir John George Smyth VC, 1st baronet and MP for Norwood 1950-1966
Smyth was a Lieutenant in the 15th Ludhiana Sikhs, Indian Army, when he was awarded the
Victoria Cross. The citation, which is dated 29 June 1915, reads as follows:-
'For most conspicuous bravery near Richebourg L'Avoue [France] on 18th May, 1915.
'With a bombing party of 10 men, who voluntarily undertook this duty, he conveyed a supply
of 96 bombs to within 20 yards of the enemy's position over exceptionally dangerous ground,
after the attempts of two other parties had failed.
'Lieutenant Smyth succeeded in taking the bombs to the desired position with the aid of two
of his men (the other eight having been killed or wounded), and to effect his purpose he had to
swim a stream, being exposed the whole time to howitzer, shrapnel, machine gun and rifle fire.'
After a controversial career during WW2, Smyth entered politics and sat for Norwood between
1950 and 1966.
Joseph William Spearman, son and heir of Sir Joseph Layton Elmes Spearman,
2nd baronet [22 August 1879-1917]
Some people are born unlucky - this appears to have been the case with this gentleman, as
described in the following article which appeared in the Sydney "Star" on 7 April 1909:-
'Heir to a baronetcy, and an ex-officer in the Army, Joseph William Spearman finds himself
starving in London after crowding years of adventure into his 29 years of life.
'He is the eldest son of Sir Joseph Layton Elmes Spearman, second Baronet of Craigour, Gullane,
East Lothian. The title was created in 1840, the first baronet being Sir Alexander Young
Spearman, at one time Assistant Secretary to the Treasury, and afterwards Comptroller-General
and Secretary to the Commissioners for the Reduction of the National Debt. The present 
baronet is his grandson, and it is his great-grandson whose plight has been discovered by a
London press representative. It may be added that his identity was vouched for by a barrister,
who has known him and his family all his life.
'Sitting in his barely furnished room in one of the mean streets off the Old Kent-road, Mr. 
Spearman told of the hard times that had befallen him. "I've been tramping all over London to 
try to find work," he said, "and I'd welcome any job. My wife and I are penniless, and hungry."
'Mr. Spearman was born on August 22, 1879, and after education at Shrewsbury served for a
year in the Suffolk (Militia) Regiment, as sub-lieutenant. Then a roving spirit came over him.
"I sailed for Canada, on November 26, 1898, in the Labrador," he said, "with the idea of taking
up ranching. My first taste of adventure soon came. I was crossing the continent on the
Canadian Pacific Railway, and we were going through the Rockies when the train jumped the
metals and fell into a ditch to the right of the track. We scrambled out unhurt, and saw how
narrow had been our escape, for had the train gone over to the left we would have all been
dashed to pieces hundreds of feet below. There was no dining car on the train, as we were to
have a meal at a station some way ahead, and twenty of us had to share out a tin of salmon
and a few biscuits till relief arrived twelve hours later. I had a flask of whisky, and could have
sold it over and over again for its weight in gold.
"Then I got into Chilcoot country and apprenticed myself to learn ranching. So began nearly
three years of a regular cowboy life, with plenty of ups and downs, and enough fun breaking
horses and branding cattle to keep one lively. Of course, I was very raw at first. My first load
of hay slipped on my cart, and I had a busy time getting it back again. But for excitement give
me branding cattle, when a rope breaks and a steer tries to horn you for your trouble. That
taught me some new ideas in sprinting and getting over six feet fences.
"In 1901 I thought I would try town life again, and made my way to New Westminster, British
Columbia, where I took an office, and started an agency for the Veterinary Science Association,
the idea being to visit farms and sell books on horses and cattle. A local veterinary surgeon,
seeing the plate on my door, tried to get me arrested for practising without a licence or
qualifications, and I had to convince the authorities that I was a mere harmless book canvasser.
Books didn't pay very well, and during the next two years I tried my hand at all sorts of things.
I helped in a tobacconist's shop, worked in a saloon, cannery, and went on a farm as haymaker.
"In 1903 I came home for a short holiday, and, raising some money, I returned to Vancouver 
and bought a small fruit farm. But luck was against me. Some pest killed all my apple trees, and
before long I was wandering about doing any odd job I could get. In January, 1906, I came to
South London, and with a little money I had left started a tobacconist's shop in the Old Kent-
road and married the daughter of a butcher who lived near by. This caused the estrangement
from my father, and on July 13, 1907, I again sailed westward, intending this time to take up
poultry farming in Toronto. But land was too expensive, so I took a lodging-house, which was 
mostly used by English people who wanted to stay with me for nothing, and bolted without
paying as soon as they got work.
"Down on my luck again, I did all sorts of odd jobs, digging foundations, making concrete floor-
ings, and the like. Then came my worst misfortune of all. Some coffee had frozen in a pot, and
as I chipped it with a knife a splinter of icicle of coffee flew up, and made a slight wound in my
right hand. Blood poisoning set in, and here is my hand half-crippled so that I can do no more
heavy jobs, though I can manage to write and do clerical work, if only I could get it.
"At last my wife and I determined to return, and landed in Liverpool last September. We were
penniless. A local relief society helped us for a time, and a few weeks ago we reached London."
'Since this interview the press representative has been able, with the assistance of the Church
"Army," to secure temporary employment for Mr. Spearman, who hopes soon to get such
regular work as will enable him and his wife to face the future with less dread.'
According to Burke's Peerage, Joseph William Spearman died in 1917. As far as I can tell, he did
not die from any involvement in the Great War. It is interesting to note, however, that the
obituaries which were published after the death of his father in 1922 are unanimous in stating
that Joseph William would now succeed to the baronetcy - that is to say, the newspapers
appeared to be unaware that he had died some years before.
Lady Deborah Speelman (c 1655-25 Sep 1695)
I have seen it stated that Deborah Speelman, widow of John Cornelis Speelman, was created a
baronetess in September 1686. These references usually include the comment that, as a result,
she became one of only two baronetesses ever created, the other being Dame Mary Bolles, who
was created a baronetess in 1635. I suspect that the reason for this confusion is that Deborah
Speelman receives her own entry in Cokayne's 'Complete Baronetage,' which is possibly
sufficient to persuade some readers that she was created a baronetess.
To the best of my knowledge, Deborah Speelman was never created a baronetess. It was the
intention of the king at the time, James II, to create her husband, John Cornelis Speelman, as
a baronet, but he died on 4 June 1686 before the royal warrant creating him a baronet had
passed the Great Seal. Consequently, the infant son of John Cornelis and Deborah Speelman
was created a baronet on 9 September 1686. On the same day, Deborah Speelman was raised
by letters patent to the rank of a baronet's widow for the term of her life.
The wording of Deborah Speelman's patent is given in 'The Complete Baronetage.'  Thanks to 
the good monks of the local Benedictine monastery, I have been supplied with a translation
of the patent, which includes the wording "….we declare, bring forward and create Deborah
Speelman, her maiden name Kievit, being the widow left of…..John Cornelis Speelman, onto and
in the dignity and grade of a baronet's widow, to be held, possessed and enjoyed by the 
same Deborah Speelman, widow, for and during her natural life, together with the inscription, 
the title, the privilege, the place and pre-eminence of a wife, or as a widow, of a baronet of 
this Our Kingdom of England."
The special remainder to the baronetcy of Smith (later Spencer-Smith) created in 1804
From the "London Gazette" of 8 May 1804 (issue 15700, page 590):-
'The King has been pleased to grant the Dignity of a Baronet of the United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Ireland to Drummond Smith, of Tring Park, in the County of Herts, Esq; with
Remainder to Charles Smith, of Suttons, in the County of Essex, Esq.'
Sir Thomas Cospatric Hamilton-Spencer-Smith, 6th baronet
Sir Thomas was found dead in his home in October 1959. The following report of the inquest into
his death appeared in "The Times" on 19 Otober 1959:-
'The inquest on Sir Thomas Spencer-Smith, aged 41, who was found dead at his home at
Stapleford Tawney, near Ongar, Essex, last Wednesday, was adjourned at Epping on Saturday
until November 9 while the Home Office forensic department trace the poison from which he 
'Sir Thomas Spencer-Smith, the sixth baronet, was found dead by Mr. Leonard Moore, a 
handyman employed at his home, and husband of Sir Thomas's housekeeper. Mr. Moore said he
saw Sir Thomas Spencer-Smith the evening before and he appeared quite normal. On
Wednesday morning there was a note on the kitchen table from him saying: "Wake me in the
'Mr. Moore said: "On the table there was also a piece of red cloth which should have indicated 
to me to be on guard. This was an arrangement made about two years ago and it meant there
was something I was not to touch or I was to be on guard."
'The Coroner (Mr. L.F. Beccles) - On guard for what? - I do not know. Had you ever seen a
piece of red cloth before? - No.
'Mr. Moore said the note in itself would have been perfectly normal had he not seen the red
cloth. He found Sir Thomas Spencer-Smith in bed as though asleep.
'Mrs. J. Cox, of White Cottage, North Weald, said she and her husband were friends of Sir 
Thomas Spencer-Smith and on the Tuesday evening he had telephoned to say he would go and
see them. "He said he was feeling a bit low. He did not give any particular reason but said he
had a bit of a headache and was feeling rather low and fed-up. He said he was thinking of
selling his house and moving back to London."
'Police-constable G. Arrell said there was an empty glass on a small table near the bed and an
opened bottle of tonic water. On the bed was a small capsule. The piece of cloth on the kitchen
table appeared to have been torn from something, but he found no similar material elsewhere in
the house.
'On a table in the hall was a stamped letter addressed to Lady Spencer-Smith. Referring to this,
the Coroner said: "Without disclosing the full contents, I can say it did indicate that it was quite
clear he intended to do himself an injury."
'Dr. Irene Tuck, consulting pathologist at St. Margaret's Hospital, Epping, said she found 
evidence in the post-mortem suggesting death from poisoning by a drug, but so far they had
failed to identify the drug.
'She said that there were no puncture marks on the body which would have suggested the use
of a hypodermic needle. The capsule found on the bed had contained a barbiturate drug, but
there was no trace of barbiturates in the stomach.
"It is clearly a death by poisoning and cannot be anything else. The cause of death is obscure
at the moment because the poison has not been identified."
'Dr. Tuck spoke of finding a hypodermic syringe, but, she said, it was an old model and had not 
been used for a considerable time.
"The poison is something obscure and outside the usual range," she added. "There was nothing
in the house that could have killed him. He must have used it, whatever it was, and left no 
trace and no container."
To my great frustration, I have been unable to find any mention of any further proceedings of
the adjourned inquest, and consequently have been unable to discover whether the poison
which killed Sir Thomas was ever identified. If any reader can supply me with any further info-
mation, I would be very grateful.
Sir Edgar Speyer, 1st baronet
Speyer was the second son of Gustavus Speyer, of Frankfort, by his wife Sophia, daughter of
Rudolph Rubino, of Fritzlar, Prussia. After being educated at Frankfort, at the age of 22 he
became a partner in his father's three companies. Three years later, he took up the
management of one of these companies, Speyer Brothers, in London, where both he and the
company prospered. He was naturalized as a British citizen in 1892.
The company operated mainly in the arbitrage markets between America and the Continent,
and was a large player in American financial circles. The company was heavily involved from
inception with the project of electrification of the London Underground railway system, with
Speyer being Chairman of the Underground Electric Railways Company of London.
In 1902, Speyer married Leonora, daughter of Ferdinand, Count von Stosch, of Mantze in
Silesia. In July 1906, he was created a baronet, and in 1909 was sworn of the Privy Council.
Even though he was naturalized, Speyer had been born an alien. He was an extremely
successful businessman during a period when popular magazines and literature were engaging
in a campaign of fear over the build-up of the German military threat. Best-selling novels by
authors such as Erskine Childers ("The Riddle of the Sands") and William Le Queux ("The
Invasion of 1910") gave impetus to the public's general unease with Germany. [Although,
to be fair, it must be noted that there were probably just as many stories published in
Germany sewing fear of a British invasion. For example, the ending of Le Queux's "Invasion
of 1910," when published in Germany, had a completely different ending to the English edition].
For an excellent survey of this type of literature, I recommend "Voices Prophesying War" by 
I.F. Clarke (Oxford University Press 1992).
Following the outbreak of World War 1, Speyer was in a difficult position. Although he 
immediately resigned from all non-English businesses with which he was associated, a hate
campaign was mounted against him due to his German parentage. He was accused of disloyalty
and treachery; he was forced to remove his children from their school and to resign from the
boards of a number of charitable institutions, and also as chairman of the Underground Electric
Railways Company.
On 17 May 1915, Speyer wrote to the Prime Minister, Herbert Asquith, saying:-
'Nothing is harder to bear than a sense of injustice that finds no vent in expression. For the 
last nine months I have kept silence and treated with disdain the charges of disloyalty and
suggestions of treachery made against me in the Press and elsewhere. But I can keep silence
no longer, for these charges and suggestions have now been repeated by public men who 
have not scrupled to use their position to inflame the overstrained feelings of the people.
'I am not a man who can be driven or drummed by threats or abuse into an attitude of
justification. But I consider it due to my honour as a loyal British subject, and my personal
dignity as a man, to retire from all my public positions. I therefore ask you to accept my
resignation as a Privy Councillor and to revoke my baronetcy.'
On 22 May Asquith wrote back to Speyer, saying "I can quite understand the sense of injustice
and indignation which prompted your letter to me. I have known you long and well enough to
estimate at their true value those baseless and malignant imputations upon your loyalty to the
British Crown. The King is not prepared to take any steps such as you suggest in regard to the
marks of distinction which you have received in recognition of public services and philanthropic
munificence.' In any event, there would be grave doubts, at that time at least, over whether
a person would be allowed to resign from the Privy Council or a baronetcy, since it was felt that
as both honours were granted by the sovereign, only the sovereign could take those honours 
In July 1915, Sir George Makgill, who was secretary to the Anti-German Union, applied to the
Courts to have the membership of the Privy Council stripped from both Speyer and another
German-born Privy Counsellor, Sir Ernest Cassel. In December 1915, the Court rejected this
application. An appeal against this decision was also rejected in July 1916. [For further
information, see the note under "Privy Counsellors 1836-1914."]
After the war had concluded, however, Speyer's conduct during the war was examined by the
Certificates of Naturalization (Revocation) Committee, with the result that the following 
pronouncement was made in the 'London Gazette' of 13 December 1921:-
'In the matter of Sir Edgar Speyer, Bt.
'Revocation of Certificate of Naturalization.
'Whereas I am satisfied , as a result of an inquiry conducted by the Certificates of 
Naturalization (Revocation) Committee, that Sir Edgar Speyer, Baronet, a member of His
Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, to whom a Certificate of Naturalization number 
A 7015 was granted on the 29th February, 1892
     (1) Has shown himself by act and speech to be disaffected and disloyal to his Majesty, and;
     (2) has, during the war in which his Majesty was engaged, unlawfully communicated with
          subjects of an enemy State and associated with a business which was to his knowledge
          carried on in such a manner as to assist the enemy in such war [the pronouncement
          makes it clear that this did not extend to the other partners of the firm].
'And whereas I am satisfied that the continuance of the said certificate is not conducive to 
the public good:
'Now, therefore, by this order……I revoke the said certificate; and I direct such revocation to
have effect from the date hereof; and I further order the said certificate to be given up and 
to be cancelled.
'And I further direct that Leonora Speyer, the wife of the said Sir Edgar Speyer, and Pamela
Speyer, Leonora Speyer, and Vivien Clare Speyer, the minor children of the said Sir Edgar
Speyer, shall cease to be British subjects.
                                 Edward Shortt
                                 One of his Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State [Home Secretary]'
In the same London Gazette, a further pronouncement reads:-
'It is this day ordered by his Majesty in Council that the name of Sir Edgar Speyer, Bt., be
struck out of the List of his Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council.'
The Committee's report upon which the Home Secretary based his decision was released on
6 January 1922. The principal findings of the Committee were published the following day
in 'The Times':-
'The chief points in the Committee's Report are as follows:-
'For a considerable time Sir Edgar Speyer remained in partnership with an enemy [Herr Beit von
Speyer, his brother-in-law] and shared with him the profits of trading with Germany, and he
relinquished that position with obvious reluctance and on compulsion.
'We are clearly of opinion that Sir Edgar Speyer engaged in transactions with Teixeira, of
Amsterdam, with knowledge that they involved benefit to individual Germans and assistance to
the enemy in the war.
'From June, 1915, when he landed in New York, up to the end of the war, Sir Edgar Speyer was
in regular and constant correspondence with his brother-in-law at Frankfort.
'This correspondence is plainly unlawful communication with the subject of an enemy State 
during the war. It was in breach of Sir Edgar Speyer's oath as a Privy Councillor and in flagrant 
and habitual violation of his personal undertaking.
'Sir Edgar Speyer was party to repeated and systematic attempts to evade the British 
censorship, and he repeatedly attempted to seduce his English partners to do the same. He
desisted from these attempts only because of the strong opposition of his English partners,
and through fear of further injury to his business interests.
'We are entirely satisfied that early in 1918 he wrote to Beit von Speyer professing German
sympathies, expressing a desire to settle in Berlin and carry on business there after the war.
'We are satisfied that Sir Edgar Speyer had ceased to entertain any feeling of loyalty to his
Majesty or affection for this country, and that he desired (at least in the event of a German
victory) to substitute for his British citizenship a German allegiance and association.
'Sir Edgar Speyer soon after his arrival in the United States was introduced to Dr. Carl Muck,
and from that time maintained openly a friendly intimacy with him.
'We think that this frequent and friendly intimacy with an avowed enemy of his country would
have been repugnant to any loyal subject.'
After May 1915, Speyer and his family resided in America, although Speyer himself died in
Berlin, having travelled to there for an operation. Notwithstanding the revocation of his British
citizenship, he was permitted to retain his baronetcy, which became extinct on his death.
Sir Robert Ponsonby Staples, 12th baronet
Sir Robert had his own remedy for rheumatism, as is shown by the following extract from the
'Cairns Post' of 20 July 1938:-
'This week Sir Robert Ponsonby Staples, 85-years-old baronet and artist, walked out of Lissan
House, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone, in his bare feet. For half-an-hour he walked in the lanes outside
the grounds of his home, all the time without shoes or socks.
'Whatever the weather Sir Robert has his daily barefoot walk. It is his way of keeping fit.
'Said Sir Robert after his stroll: "I suppose it is forty years since I began to walk in my bare feet.
Walking barefoot has hardened me."
"I used to have twinges of rheumatism but not now. The embarrassment I sometimes felt when,
for instance, I walked barefoot in the centre of London, has been worth while."
The fate of the Staples baronetcy
This baronetcy appears doomed to become extinct on the death of its current holder. There
is nobody shown as being in remainder in "Burke's Peerage." The following article which appeared
in 'The Irish Times' on 18 August 2003 discusses the looming extinction:-
'A Co. Tyrone title is available if a suitable family member can be found to fill it. It must be a 
man and the name has to be Staples - the search for a baronet has been extended to Canada.
'The Co. Tyrone Baronetcy of Lissan is up for grabs if the rightful Mr. Staples can be located to
take on the title of 18th baronet. Otherwise, according to Mr. Beir Briers, co-editor of Debretts
Peerage, "the title becomes extinct."
'The current baronet, Sir Richard Staples (89), is living in Waterford and has no children. The
ancestral home, 28-bedroom Lissan House and 300 acres, just outside Cookstown, is occupied
by his cousin, Mrs. Hazel Radclyffe Dolling (80). She was left the house by her father, the 13th
'He died in 1970 and, as he had no sons, the title passed to his cousin, a brother of the current
baronet. Mrs. Radclyffe Dolling has one sister who has two girls and a boy, but as the title can
only pass through males, her children have no claim.
'It is thought, said Mrs. Radclyffe Dolling yesterday, that there may be an unaware successor
in Canada or the United States.
"One of the Staples in Canada is trying to see if there is any link between the Canadian Staples
and us." Baronet Richard Staples had, she said, sent a sample of DNA to Canada.
'However, Mr. Briers said a simple DNA test would not suffice. A complex study of the genealogy
would have to be undertaken to establish rightful succession before anyone could assume the
'He said it was known that a Rev. Alexander Staples, Rector of Gowan, who was a junior 
successor, died in 1864 leaving five sons.
"But nobody knows what became of them. They may have emigrated to Canada, Australia, the
United States. And then they may have left plenty of descendants or may have all died without
'Mrs. Radclyffe Dolling stressed yesterday that any successor would have no claim on Lissan
House upon her death.
"They will just get the title, the right to call themselves 'Sir'." On her death the 400-year-old 
house will be handed over to the Friends of Lissan House Trust, which she established five
years ago.
'Having lived in the house all her life she is determined that it should be restored and used for
the benefit of the community.
'It currently features as one of the three Northern Ireland finalists in [the] BBC architectural 
history programme 'Restoration.' Viewers can vote on which big house they want the programme
to restore. The winning house will have an estimated £4 million spent on restoring it.'
The above was written in October 2012. Sir Richard died in November 2013, at the age of 99,
at which time the baronetcy became either extinct or, if the reference to possible relatives in
Canada or the USA proves to be true, dormant.
The special remainder to the baronetcy of Stephens created in 1795
From the "London Gazette" of 7 March 1795 (issue 13758, page 222):-
'The King has been pleased to grant the Dignity of a Baronet of the Kingdom of Great Britain to
Philip Stephens, of St. Faith and Horsford in the County of Norfolk, and Fulham in the County of
Middlesex, Esq; and the Heirs Male of his Body lawfully begotten; with Remainder to his Nephew 
Stephens Howe, Esq; Aide de Camp to the King and Lieutenant-Colonel of His Majesty's Sixty-
third Regiment of Foot, and the Heirs Male of his Body lawfully begotten.'
Copyright © 2020