Barone di Grua, 1794.
Granted to: Magnifico Saverio Carbott Testaferrata Ghaxaq, JUD.
By: Emanuel de Rohan Polduc, Grand Master of Malta.
On: 1794 at Valletta.
British Crown recognition: 1878.
With Remainder to: Grand Master Rohan on the 30th December 1794, issued a diploma conferring the title of Barone della Grua upon the Magnifico Saverio Carbott Testaferrata, and his first-born sons and descendants, under the rule of primogeniture (de primogenitor in primogenito). The following is an extract from the patent of creation: Tibi tuisque filiis et descendentibus masculis de primogenito in primogenitum tribuimus et concedimus et te hujusmodi Baronis titulo decoramus.. That is to say the grant confers the title on the grantee and his male descendants, from firstborn to firstborn By 1878, the male-to-male descending line of the said Saverio was extinct, for Saverio Carbott left Giuseppe Carbott, second Barone, of whom Saverio Carbott Montalto, junior, was born. Saverio Carbott, junior, had no male issue, but only a daughter Giovanna Carbott Montalto, wife of Dr. Giuseppe Delicata, of whom Nicola Maria Delicata was born (see below). See: Correspondence and Report of the Commission appointed to enquire into the claims and grievances of the Maltese Nobility, May 1878, presented to both Houses of Parliament by Command of Her Majesty (C.-2033.).
List of Title holders:
1. Magnifico Saverio Carbott Testaferrata Ghaxaq, JUD, (d. 1837), 1st Barone, succeeded by his son.
2. Nobile Giuseppe Carbott, (d. 1841), 2nd Barone, succeeded by his son.
3. Conte Saverio Carbott, (d. 1843), 3rd Barone, succeeded by his only child, a daughter.
4. Contessa Giovanna Carbott Montalto Delicata, (d. 1855), 4th Baronessa, succeeded by her son.
5. Conte Nicola Maria Delicata Carbott dei Marchesi di Ghajn Qajjed, (d. 1888), 5th Barone, succeeded by his second cousin.
6. Conte Paolo Borg Carbott, (d. 1915), 6th Barone, succeeded by his brother.
7. Conte Francesco Saverio Borg Carbott, (d. 1936), 7th Barone, succeeded by his son.
8. Conte William Borg Carbott, (d. 1983), 8th Barone, succeeded by his nephew.
9. Conte Peter Borg Carbott, (d. 1989), 9th Barone, succeeded by his brother.
10. Conte Daniel Borg Carbott, (1964-, 10th Barone.
Heir: Conte Luke Borg Carbott, (1992-, Baroncino di Grua.
Articles relating to this title: